· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

> - korith   

Default External Filters - questions & advice please

0 Not allowed!
    Hi folks.. Been a while since i've posted on here but back again..

Im thinking of adding an external filter to my Juwel Trigon 190 corner tank.

At the minute I have the internal filter running that normally comes with those tanks.
    Sand substrate and current occupants - red spotted severum, 2 thorichthys ellioti (both male), metallic blue acara, striped raphael catfish and blue crayfish.

The filter does the job rightly and keeps my water parameters at where they should be. No worries there over the filtration aspect but more is always better. Tank has been running for a year now 13months now.

The main thing that i don't like when using sand as a substrate is it's quite easy to see any build up of waste etc.. I love the fact that it doesn't get stuck down into the sand in the way that it can with gravel but sometimes nearing the end of the week when it's coming up to a water change it can be quite uneasy on the eye.

Would an external filter positioned correctly in the tank help to draw any excess out of the tank?

My tank hasn't been drilled for an external filter so im not sure which way the hoses etc are normally placed/positioned inside a tank.

If they where placed down at the bottom would it create a flow that would push anything out through the out take hose?

How do other people set them up and deal with the issue?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Your tank doesn't have to be drilled to use an external filter....but if you had the pickup tube of the canister close enough to the sand to suck up waste, you'd be sucking up sand, too, which is not good.

I've never heard of using a filter to vacuum waste from a tank; your best bet for that is manually vacuuming the substrate when you do your water changes.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Only good water flow could possibly bring the detritus/waste off the bottom up to your filters intake. But depending on decor and setup there is always "dead spots" Fish also help with agitating the detritus/waste Corydoras catfish are great at continually scouring the bottom.

My recommendations are to just vacuum up the detritus/waste that you can spot whenever you do you're WC.

Edit: Slap always beats me to it :P

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    ninja.jpg

10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    With 190 gallons of water volume you'd benefit from a circulation pump moving the water around, ultimately keeping waste and detritus suspended so ANY filtration source can take it out. If your tank was drilled and you could have an overflow box, it would allow you to have a sump where a majority of the waste would end up. Easily removable down here with a python or maxi-jet set-up.

I'd check out a Jebao RW-8 - Lots of controllability here allowing you to find just the speed and angle you'll want. I recommend pointed them upwards towards the surface. This not only will allow gas exchange at the surface, but also create a nice gyre circulation around the tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

> - korith   

1 Not allowed!
    thanks for the comments folks.. Normally i just suck it up during water changes etc which is fine but thought there might be a wee trick for other people who use sand as substrate.

This is the 1st tank i've used sand in rather than gravel.

The idea of the power head makes sense though if anything is suspended in the water the filter will then filter it through and get trapped in there.

But still toying with the idea of upping the filtration via external if i can pick 1 up handy.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Yep no such thing as to much filtration.
    There is such a thing as too much filtration media. Ultimately the bacteria will only colonize per the ammonia it is receiving. It doesn't need a huge amount of porous area for this actually. I wouldn't provide "extra" media as this will just become a place for nutrients and other waste to store.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    well sure that applies to biological filtration. however mechanical filtration is a different story..and the OP is trying to collect suspended particles of detritus. And that is the definition of filtration for waste to collect just have to stay on your filter maintenance and water quality tests.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 02-23-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by iReef View Post
    There is such a thing as too much filtration media. Ultimately the bacteria will only colonize per the ammonia it is receiving. It doesn't need a huge amount of porous area for this actually. I wouldn't provide "extra" media as this will just become a place for nutrients and other waste to store.
    Actually, it is not just bacteria that consumes ammonia and bacteria that consumes nitrites that only occupy the filter media. Heterotrophic bacteria that consumes organic compounds will also occupy the same filter media. If fact, if there isn't enough media, they will compete with each for space.