· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 25 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

because you are going to need it with the new baby - Hockey nut   Thanks for the rep! Sorry about your losses :( - Silbar   I love your new butterfly garden1 - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    I also add it anytime I introduce new fish.
    When we bought the neons, the emp at the LFS recommended it because we were (according to him) adding a large number of fish. Since I'd never heard about it, I didn't buy it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    that got me to try Stability 4 years ago and I have been very happy with it.

take it from an "old hand"; it works ;-)
    Thank you to all who have participated in this interesting discussion. The experiences shared are valued.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I use stability after filter cleanings. Never heard of Pristine, but I am almost out of the RidX and may look into it. I know Laura had a representative from Seachem speak at the February (?) club meeting. Wonder if s/he discussed those products.
    Sorry this was typed on the phone on the drive in...just saw my boo-boos.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

4 Not allowed!
    Sorry this was typed on the phone on the drive in...just saw my boo-boos.
    It's alright. I'm pretty certain we're fluent in typo-ese.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Thank you to all who have participated in this interesting discussion. The experiences shared are valued.
    I also love it when people here can feel comfortable giving their thoughts and suggestions based on their knowledge and experience. If a product has worked for you in the past I, for one, wish to hear about it. It doesn't mean that I will run out and get it but it definitely helps me make my decisions about things. I am still learning and I appreciate everyone's input. And you shouldn't have to defend yourself, just say 'it has worked for me".
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    ^ plus 10 to that!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

6 Not allowed!
    I use stability after filter cleanings. Never heard of Pristine, but I am almost out of 5he RidX and may look into it. I know Laura has a representative from Seachem speak at the February (?) club meeting. Wonder if s/he discussed those products.
    I also e-mailed them about its recommended use and to ask how the bacteria stay alive for up to 4 years (the shelf life of Pristine). Their first answer was about Stability rather than Pristine, but they e-mailed again to correct this when I pointed that out. Here are their responses and my original questions:

========================
    Seachem Su
    Seachem Support 10256 (Seachem Laboratories)
    Apr 28, 12:39

Hello Susan,

I apologize - We get very similar questions about Stability most of the time, so I answered on auto-pilot. The same spore-state idea applies to Pristine - the bacteria is dormant until it comes into contact with aquarium water and nutrients.

We generally recommend to use Pristine on an "as needed" basis when the bacteria colonies have been disturbed or when you notice a detritus or film problem developing. You can certainly use it on a weekly or monthly basis just to keep ahead of detritus issues, but if your tank is not currently experience any kind of buildup of organic waste, it's a bit of a waste.

Thank you,

Seachem Support

===================
    Thanks for your response, but my questions were about Pristine, not Stability. My fault - I probably put the product title in the header/subject, but did not repeat the name in the body of my e-mail. So same questions about Pristine:

How is it that the bacteria in this product can stay alive in the bottle for up to 4 years (shelf life) or at all, really? If they thrive in a fresh water aquarium using the organic compounds found there, what is it that keeps them alive in the bottle?

Also, am I correct that this is recommended as a one time dosage, except as noted for new livestock or disruption of bio-filter due to medications or cleaning? It is not recommended to be used on a weekly, monthly or other regular basis? Thank you for your help

-----Original Message-----
    From: Seachem Support 10256 (Seachem Laboratories) <support@seachem.com>
    Sent: Thu, Apr 28, 2016 10:19 am
    Subject: [Seachem Laboratories] Re: Pristine

Seachem Su
    Seachem Support 10256 (Seachem Laboratories)
    Apr 28, 11:19

Hello Susan,

Thank you for your email. The bacteria in Stability is in a spore state - it is dormant until it comes into contact with aquarium water and nutrients. While the bacteria is in the bottle, it is similar to a plant in "seed" state and it only becomes "live" bacteria when it hits the water.

There are a few ways to dose Stability. When starting a new tank, we recommend dosing every day for 7 days to start up all the bacteria colonies that the tank needs. New tanks generally have 0 bacteria colonies, so a longer dosing period is necessary to ensure that all available spaces are filled with beneficial bacteria. Then, as you described, you can dose Stability in situations where you suspect that the bacteria colonies have been disturbed, damaged, or need to grow quickly - large water changes, treatment with medication, changes in pH or temperature, changes in equipment, addition of more fish, etc. Many people simply add some extra Stability on a weekly or monthly basis to fill in any gaps that may have appeared in their bacteria colonies (think of it like throwing a few handfuls of grass seed out onto your lawn every few months to fill in the gaps). This is usually not strictly necessary, but it helps to head off problems with bio-filiation before they develop.

Thank you,

Seachem Support

=============
    Message: How is it that the bacteria in this product can stay alive in the bottle for up to 4 years (shelf life) or at all, really? If they thrive in a fresh water aquarium using the organic compounds found there, what is it that keeps them alive in the bottle? Also, am I correct that this is recommended as a one time dosage, except as noted for new livestock or disruption of bio-filter due to medications or cleaning? It is not recommended to be used on a weekly, monthly or other regular basis? Thank you for your help

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Great info, thanks for asking them.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for sharing your research with us.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for posting this informative exchange, Sue!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Page 25 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast