· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry the guppies didn't work out - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the 20L! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the goldfish... - Slaphppy7   For being a goldfish's hero. - Slaphppy7   

Default Can two N. Brevis QT in a 5 gallon tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I am seriously considering converting my son's 10 gallon tank into a Shellie tank, housing 2 N. Brevis (other suggestions welcome).

I would love to be able to put them into the TWS order I will be doing to fill the 20L. Once the quarantine is over the occupants of the 10 will move in with the TWS stock, freeing up my ten for the pair of Brevis.

I am thinking the ten will only house the pair of Brevis so they have lot of room and stable water conditions. In addition, my water is hard and my pH is a stable 8.4 once the water is aged. Other than a change of substrate that tank is good to go.

Thoughts?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Do you have a number of shells for them? Are you planning a male/female pair? If so, do you have another larger tank? Apparently, shellies are very easy breeders and you could end up with a colony that would exceed the limits of the 10g.

I wanted to start a shellie tank with Neolamprologus multifasciatus, which is one of the smallest. But their breeding potential made me change my mind as I had gone through years of guppies breeding out of control.

I still think these would be interesting to keep as I would love to observe their behavior. But I just can't deal with trying to find homes for the excess. Actually, I think there is someone on here who has had this problem recently. Maybe they will see this and chime in on what they've done with the overpopulation.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Sorry the guppies didn't work out - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the 20L! - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the goldfish... - Slaphppy7   For being a goldfish's hero. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have researched the basic environment and know that I would have to have ample shells...

But I have not fully thought through the over population issues. Oy.

They just seem so cool and fun. With my son's 20L going into the living room he asked to keep a tank in his room.... I have also considered upgrading his room tank to a 20 standard (as the stand works) and just doing another community tank.