· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Odd gravel colors

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone know why the bright gravel/rock colors all show up in freshwater, but never in salt? I mean it's not light there are orange and pink rocks in lakes and rivers.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    saltwater tanks almost always have a crushed coral substrate.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome back - mac   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Good post on FBK's thread - steeler58   No Message - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I think the reputation for expense and difficulty tends to attract a different crowd to saltwater. The folks setting up saltwater tanks tend to be more serious and do more research before buying. So, they are likely to learn that saltwater tanks need the correct substrate to keep stable water parameters. Also, because of their reputation for difficulty and expense, few people buy saltwater tanks for their children. No offense to the grown-ups here who like unnaturally colored substrates, but kids' tanks provide the main market for neon-colored gravel and rocks.

On the other hand, many people jump into freshwater tanks on impulse - either for themselves or for their children. And folks who do research before getting started will learn that most freshwater tanks can be managed successfully with a wide range of substrates. Unless you need to keep the pH especially low or high, colored gravel or rocks work just fine. So the choice of substrate comes down mostly to aesthetics.
    Last edited by Laura_in_FL; 02-19-2016 at 03:11 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    That's interesting... kid driven. They all want Nemo's too, of course.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Hope you are well man - robflanker   Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   Happy Birthday - mommy1   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster   

0 Not allowed!
    When first got into this I started with crazy colors a decor... I had a fun looking tank with that clown puke rainbow gravel with bright colored plants. lol As time went on I look at my tanks now and seem more natural looking. I still have a 10g for my kids thats all rainbow bright but thats it. It just never seemed right... maybe it's the diver in me but I enjoy the natural look so much better.
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    alllllll naturaaaal is the way to go! for so many reasons... a big reason is fish will live a healthier longer life. Assuming all your other responsibilities are met. (WC's, proper feeding schedule,water tests etc..)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The reason we would never use the colored rocks, or crushed coral (other reasons not to use this I won't get into) for that matter, in our tanks is primarily not because of the aesthetics but because of their CEC, or cation-exchange capacity. It would store too much nutrients and not provide any beneficial anerarobic activity. The paint also chips overtime. The extra nutrients would hurt coral pigments and certain interactions would be stunted.

I also personally use white sand as it will reflect the light back up to light the flesh of my corals not getting lighting from above. This would be more of a benefit for SPS corals.

Furthermore, in saltwater we also sell a product Live Sand. This sand actually comes with a lot of the anerarobic bacteria and lifeforms already doing their thing in the bag.. This speeds up the cycling process and allows you to keep certain fish sooner than later because the natural food population in sand will be more available than without.
    Last edited by iReef; 02-23-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ah did not know they were painted.