· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Those discus are beautiful fish!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58   Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Every one on this thread is just beautiful! Love discus.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    How do you keep all your tanks so clean! Not a speck of algae anywhere. Is it all the water changes? I think I might be jealous lol!

And your discus are so beautiful no one cares that you totally jacked this thread! Lol! I love the pics, don't stop!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Many thanks to you all, and I apologize for the 'hijack' of the thread - sure hope the OP didn't mind.

It does take a bit more work to keep any tank squeaky clean, especially a discus tank which needs to be that way, and it's not just water changes.
    If anybody wants to know how it's done, I'd be happy to break it down for you.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The blue is great... but the yellow lollipops are new to me... like a yellow tang for FW :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Hi discuspaul, thanks for answering my questions, I will contact you for info on keeping discus. You obviously know exactly what you are doing! As for the hyjack comment, it was meant as a compliment :) Your discus are spectacular, as are your tanks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    I have also enjoyed all these photos. Thank you for sharing, discuspaul. (Please don't stop)

Even though I will never likely keep these fish, I'd be interested in learning some of your techniques if you wish to share them. You do keep immaculate tanks. I would imagine that several of your tips would be useful on tanks in general, not just specific to discus.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the fry! - Slaphppy7   A friend for your pleco. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Hope some of you haven't seen these before
    i saw them on TPT ) they are really amazing!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    I have also enjoyed all these photos. Thank you for sharing, discuspaul. (Please don't stop)

Even though I will never likely keep these fish, I'd be interested in learning some of your techniques if you wish to share them. You do keep immaculate tanks. I would imagine that several of your tips would be useful on tanks in general, not just specific to discus.
    You're right, RiversGirl - I'm quite sure my tank maintenance routine would be useful for any tank. In fact I've done the same thing on all my tanks for several years, not just discus tanks.

- First thing is substrate - I use nothing but # 20 grade density quartz-based silica pool filter sand.
    It's a snap to keep squeaky clean of uneaten food, fish wastes, decomposing plant matter, or any debris whatsoever, and it grows plants well using root tab ferts, as you can see from viewing my tanks. It enables the aquarist to achieve & maintain the highest water quality & conditions, which anyone who keeps an aquarium should want.

- I use AquaClear HOB filters which contain coarse mesh sponges, ceramic bio-balls (or similar product for housing/maintaining bio-filtration). Both of these media items are rinsed every 2nd or 3rd week. Filters also contain double-layered filter floss, replaced with new floss approx. every 2 weeks.

Another item used 24/7 on an alternating basis between 2 filters (on larger tanks) is Seachem Purigen, which I re-charge no less frequently than every 3 weeks.

Also used on the filter intake tubes are Fluval Edge fine mesh pre-filters, rinsed every 2nd or 3rd day (takes but a minute).

- Also regularly use a UV sterilizer (with larger discus tanks), which can assist with ridding the tank of undesirable, potentially harmful pathogens (with proper flow), and improves oxygenation, water clarity, water circulation within the tank, and maintaining surface water free of protein films.

- Last but not least, regular, fairly frequent, and large wcs, along with substrate vacuuming & tank glass wall wipedowns with each wc complete the regimen. Not to be neglected.

Hope this helps - works for me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If you wish, I may see if I can dig up some more photos for you.