· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

Default Tracking the effects of adding probiotics to my 75 gallon tank

4 Not allowed!
    So recently the topic of septic system bacterial treatments became a topic of interest to me. Having seen the tank I set up in October of 2014 slowly become filled with more and more sludge as the months pass is starting to annoy me and give me flashbacks of the 29 when I had nitrates out of control (before the AC). Spent a bit of time reading the sites, and the links on the sites to a couple different articles which all showed that adding probiotics is beneficial-there are even some shrimp keepers which use RidX directly as feed for their shrimp.

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/...m?limitstart=0
    http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...ulture.536531/

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88...upplement.html
    http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/962-rid-x/

From the Oscar lover site I learned there are a couple different products you can use in the US; RidX, Earthworm Septic, and Bio-Clean Drain Septic Bacteria.

One product given for anyone in Canada; Septobac
    (If you click on these names they will take you to the products websites.)

So based on what I read in the MFK site (Monster Fish Keepers-no cussing, lol). A gentleman used 4 teaspoons of the dry Septobac (1/2 oz) (FYI-the liquit products can have additives such as surfactants and gycerol so powdered would be the only way I go) and dissolved it in one liter of tank water (not sure how important the actual amount of tankwater is). He let it sit until it cleared and then added it to two 125 gallon tanks and one 90 gallon tank for a total of 340 gallons of tank water treated.

So based on that I made this chart breaking down the 1/2 oz probiotic to 340 gallons of tank and it came to roughly 0.6275 oz (1 1/4 tsp) probiotic to 75 gallons of tank. However I was reading the thread on the OscarFishLover site (posted by our very own Rocksor) the dosage he suggested was:
    Dosing: old tank water (or tap water treated with water conditioner) in a pitcher with 1 tablespoon per 60 gallons (1 teaspoon per 20 gallons) of powder septic treatment. Stir every hour, and pour into tank after 4-6 hours. Don't pour the solid matter into the tank. Just the water with the bacteria.
    and
    powder form of Rid-X septic waste treatment
    1 tablespoon per 50-75g
    dose every 1-2 weeks
    available from Wal Mart for ~$6.50
    So that would be 3 teaspoons (=1T) of water in a pitcher...That seems like a lot to me, but I have never used the stuff. I would like to add enough to get some type of (positive/beneficial) reaction. Since rocksor has been using this since at least 2 years and 4 months ago (since that is how old the post is); I think I will follow his dosage. Since I have a slow day today at work I made a sheet to keep track of a couple different things as the weeks progress. Friday (tomorrow-) will be day/week 1 as I have to take time to stop at a Whole Foods to get the Earthworm Septic product (may see if Target sells RidX as I am not the biggest fan of Whole Foods or Wallyworld).
    I will make sure to take photos and videos of the before/after and see if there are any differences in filter components (tubing, media), tank components (substrate, glass, plants, water clarity), and any pros/cons/changes with fish behavior.

Picture2.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    Picture5.jpg
    Last edited by Boundava; 02-11-2016 at 09:35 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, happy you got your Emperors ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I will be very interested in following this. And look at how darn organized you are.. charts and everything! Thanks for putting in the time and effort it takes to share this with the rest of us!
    DM's 20g high - journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Very interesting experiment. I will be following your progress!
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Well change #1 already, seems I cannot find the Earthworm products here-and I don't feel like driving to WI, the Ace Hardware on the way home sells RidX powder-so RidX it will be. No one knew what the heck this "septic treatment" stuff was-one person had no clue what septic meant!

Oh have to charge my camera's battery so I don't use my cell phone camera...popping out for the night
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, got home a little after 12:30 and made a batch of the probiotics. Had an empty container of the mineral water (1.5 liters) so I filled it with tank water and added 1 tablespoon (=3 teaspoons) of the RidX I got from my local Ace Hardware. Ace isn't inexpensive and the small box (9.8 oz) was almost $10, over with tax. Probably would have been cheaper elsewhere-but I don't shop Wally World and din't want to call/hunt down any other places, had too much to do to waste the half day. I wanted the probiotics to soak a bit so i decided to leave it sit for a few hours before I worked on the fishtank. Next thing I did was to test of the parameters:

Ammonia:looked like 0 but could have been 0-.25
    pH: low tested at 7.6 so I did the high and it said 7.4
    Ni: 0
    Na:10

Water test.jpg

probiotic.jpg

I have some videos loading, so I will continue when they finish (probably tomorrow), besides the internet is really getting on my nerves right now...my snail is moving faster than it is running!
    Last edited by Boundava; 02-13-2016 at 05:23 AM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I heard about the Youtube video editor so put together a compilation of videos I made yesterday.

I am grocery shopping...so will check back later.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    *Subscribed*
    and very happy to be along for the ride on this. Thank you for documenting and sharing! (Even though others have already said it, I'll just say it too: gosh, you sure are organized!)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rivers. I try to stay as organized as I can.

off to store. 2...
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I just watched your video. Thanks for taking the time to film all that. I am so intrigued with this project!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Here's the tank earlier this morning. Think i should have followed my original calculation and done a little less probiotics...nothing bad, just upped the aeration on the top by lifting the spraybars.

5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore