· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

3 Not allowed!
    read this back on mfk when they started the discussion. always been interested in trying some pro-biotics. looking forward to your findings.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    This will be an interesting experiment. The topic of "bacteria in a bottle" has come up before and it would be great to see the debate put to rest.

I've been leery of bacterial sludge removers not only because I doubt beneficial bacteria can survive long in a sealed bottle, but also because matter cannot just disappear. You can have bacteria eating the sludge but ultimately it will be converted to some other form. The only way these sludge removers could work realistically is if the bacteria metabolize the organic gunk into a gas, such as carbon dioxide, hydrogen or nitrogen gas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    I don't believe in the bacteria in a bottle either, never had...no way to ensure it survived whatever processing and shelf time. I do think that the enzyme and probiotic bacteria can reduce the sludge volume in a tank-but not eliminate it 100%, well see if/what impact it has in the weeks to come.

Well I decided to take a last video today, fish (smaller tetras) aren't "mouthing" like they were this morning, also the tank isn't as cloudy as it was-its almost as clear as before I added the probiotics. I did add 1/2 dose of Prime this morning as a "just in case" so I will test tomorrow afternoon, after Deadpool which I am hoping to go see, but may not since its going to start snowing at noon and is supposed to be 5-8" (fun ).

Anyway here's a quick video of the tank tonight and the goofy Dojo "hiding" under veins of what was a IAL (silly loaches! them).

5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Well fortunately the 5-8" turned out to be maybe 2" up north, surprisingly closer to 4" here in Chicago. Did see Dead Pool, hilariously raunchy-very adult comedy. Need to see it again, lol.

However before I raced out the door (after another fun filled day of prepping/cooking/cleaning/packing up for the week) I was able to get a water test. Absolutely the same as prior to prebiotics;

Ammonia: 0
    NitrIte: 0
    NitrAte: 10
    pH low: 7.6
    pH high: 7.4

Weird the nitrAtes are same-but I didn't get a chance to test the tap-may pull some and test tonight. Water is still as clear as it normally is, would list it as "fair" under my water clarity guide. No difference to tubing gunk or any of the algae/stuff on the leaves of my plants, so that gets a U for "usual", lol.

Anyway I have 3 accident reports (filled out by drivers-like they are supposed to do), one motorist report-(missing the accident report so have to get driver's hinny in the office) and one "electronic report" card (also minus the drivers statement-so I have to look up the cab, find the lease and hunt this driver down too) because the police in Chicago are too lazy to write out a motorist report they give you a index card with the report # on it so you have to pay $6 for any information regarding to the accident.

Sheesh-I actually have to work today!
    Last edited by Boundava; 02-15-2016 at 02:53 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    This will be an interesting experiment. The topic of "bacteria in a bottle" has come up before and it would be great to see the debate put to rest.

I've been leery of bacterial sludge removers not only because I doubt beneficial bacteria can survive long in a sealed bottle, but also because matter cannot just disappear. You can have bacteria eating the sludge but ultimately it will be converted to some other form. The only way these sludge removers could work realistically is if the bacteria metabolize the organic gunk into a gas, such as carbon dioxide, hydrogen or nitrogen gas.
    Do not confuse bacteria in a bottle starter kits with bacterial sludge removers. Both are marketed for 2 different things if you read them carefully. Bacteria in a bottle claims to start an instant cycle, therefore, they claim they have nitrifying bacteria that consume ammonia and nitrites in the bottle. Sludge removers claim they remove brown mulm, aka detritus waste, and these are heterotrophic bacteria. If you read through the MFK post, there are reasons not to use the more expensive bacterial sludge removers.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Well fortunately the 5-8" turned out to be maybe 2" up north, surprisingly closer to 4" here in Chicago. Did see Dead Pool, hilariously raunchy-very adult comedy. Need to see it again, lol.

However before I raced out the door (after another fun filled day of prepping/cooking/cleaning/packing up for the week) I was able to get a water test. Absolutely the same as prior to prebiotics;

Ammonia: 0
    NitrIte: 0
    NitrAte: 10
    pH low: 7.6
    pH high: 7.4

Weird the nitrAtes are same-but I didn't get a chance to test the tap-may pull some and test tonight. Water is still as clear as it normally is, would list it as "fair" under my water clarity guide. No difference to tubing gunk or any of the algae/stuff on the leaves of my plants, so that gets a U for "usual", lol.
    You will not see results in a day if you have a lot of waste in the tubes. It can take as long as 3 months to see a noticeable difference. I never saw a difference in nitrates during usage of Rid-x or Earthworm Septic, but then again the API nitrate test kit does not provide numbers of 1ppm increments. Some report lower nitrates, but most do not see any difference in nitrate reading. The only difference seen is less brown mulm in the filters.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    You will not see results in a day if you have a lot of waste in the tubes.
    I realize this, but am documenting it for myself-and my tubes aren't bad-just green with a hint of brown-they have been a whole lot worse. I remarked the nitrate levels as weird because I had preformed a 60% WC after first finding 10 ppm trAtes, and then 24 hours later they are (still) 10 ppm again. I am also testing parameters to make sure the probiotics don't do anything to the water parameters for my own piece of mind since I am using the tank (and all of my plants fish, & shrimp) as my lab rat.

I can see you have been using this for a while (if you are still using it from the post over 2 years ago on http://www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/...m?limitstart=0) but its all new to me and many other here. I rather be cautious then have to start over.
    Last edited by Boundava; 02-16-2016 at 06:36 PM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay-well dosing with the probiotics was delayed from Friday to today, but after testing the water and doing a WC; I added the 1.5 liters of water that I mixed a 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) of RidX powder into. I mixed this up yesterday night and this time I left the solution sitting overnight mainly because I thought I would get to do a WC in the morning-not at 8pm today.

The water parameters haven't changed (pre WC)

Ammonia=0
    NitrIte=0
    NitrAte= 10-20ppm, closer to 10 but the oranges are so similar.
    pH= 7.6 both low and high tests

Water is not as clear as it was before dosing last week-its more tea colored with a little more suspended particles. The new pre-filters I have are clean-except for the mts that are trying to crawl in them, they look like I just put them on. The usual Eheim intakes would be brown and filled with plant debris and sludge after a month-cutting down on flow, so we'll see how these look after another 2 weeks. The tubing looks good too, actually seems a bit clearer to me. Still has some larger spots-but the light "Brown" tinge is gone. Will try to get photos tomorrow.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a video of the tank this morning, its so much clearer that when I dosed last week...maybe letting it sit for 12+ hours helped?

5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What do you mean letting the dose sit for 12 hours? You left the Rid-X in the tank for 12 hours?