· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 71 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    That's how I feel each time I see one of his tanks. They are so beautiful I feel like Takashi Amano faked his death and has been hanging out on our forum under an alter ego hahaha
    Well, we really don't know Spardas' real name, so.....could be.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    He hasn't come right out and said it, as far as I've been able to see, but I know it. I don't want to call it out, though, without @Spardas permission. I'm not sure if he realizes it is being shown. With his business and level of success, he probably enjoys the anonymity of the forum and I don't want to blow his cover.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Andre', you just gave it away. His real name is Spardas Amano. I would protect his personal info, too.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    He hasn't come right out and said it, as far as I've been able to see, but I know it. I don't want to call it out, though, without @Spardas permission. I'm not sure if he realizes it is being shown. With his business and level of success, he probably enjoys the anonymity of the forum and I don't want to blow his cover.
    I know where it is shown, but that's fine. There are a lot of people with the same name, lol. Also, I thought I was Bruce Wayne per Brhino?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    I know where it is shown, but that's fine. There are a lot of people with the same name, lol. Also, I thought I was Bruce Wayne per Brhino?
    Honestly it all fits. Pretty sure whenever "Spardas" drops off the map for a few months it's because the Joker has trapped him in some kind of fiendish dungeon and forced him to battle an army of goons and henchmen.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

3 Not allowed!
    Looks great! Especially love the little hillstream loaches. I've been wanting some of them for a long time. What temperature is this tank being kept at?

I may have asked before, but are you running CO2 into your tanks? If so, what method of diffusion are you using? Your water is always crystal clear. I never see any bubbles in your tanks. Even when i try using a large external reactor for my CO2, I still get a certain amount of little CO2 bubbles that's make it into the tank.

Care to share your fert dosing regiment? I know you have dosing systems that are automatic, but what kind of amounts are being added to the tanks each day? Your plants are always perfect. Gorgeous coloring, never a sign of deficiency, not a spot of algae... Your tanks are always picture-perfect. I would love for you to share some of your secrets with me haha
    You give me too much credit to compare me to Takashi, he was extremely passionate with his craft and talented at it. I'm not at that level, lol.

Anyway, it depends on the system, Boof. It all depends on the plants and the lighting. The tough part about any aquarium is how to balance it to prevent an explosion of algae. This is true for both fresh and salt. I mainly use CO reactors. There is no one set dosing regiment, it really is a mix of observation and testing things out to see what works best in the tank for me. Large water changes act as reset to the tanks so that there is no one build up of one nutrient vs another.

Being able to measure the important trace elements are essential as you walk a fine line of too much or too little and can cause an algae bloom.

You need to consider where the plants/corals/livestock come from. Then you have to take into consideration what you're mixing them with and what level of major/minor elements is the best balance. Something that can be good for one can do harm to another, vice versa. That's why the reefs are dying because it is such a delicate balance and the slight change that seems like nothing to us can be detrimental to the entire ecosystem. Increased salinity, higher temperature, oil spills, climate changes, etc. Most people are either ignorant or apathetic to the whole thing.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    You always get these huge amazing tanks set up so quickly that I figured you just already know what kind of ratios to use and set-and-forget your auto-dosers. I guess that I'll always be adjusting tanks haha

For your external reactors, how big are they and are you using DIY or do you buy the ones online?

I've made two so far and even with a relatively small powerhead mated to a very long chamber, I just can't seem to avoid bubbles in the tank. I'm considering adding a sponge or something to the bottom of the mixing chamber to see if that will prevent the undissolved bubbles from escaping the reactor.

You sell yourself short, my friend. Takashi was an amazing part of the hobby, but the stuff you put out so effortlessly are awesome to behold for us mere mortals. I'm in several aquascaping groups on FB, and you put out half a dozen amazing tanks in the time it takes those other guys to create just one.

Back to the ferts...I would like your opinion on a matter. In your tanks you always have some beautifully deep-colored plants. I've always seem to see arguments online between people who argue about how to get those deep reds to come out. One of the common suggestions is to increase iron. If that's what you're doing, are you using premixed traces such as Plantex, or do you mix your own ferts and raise the iron? I have red plants under super strong/healthy light, CO2 injection, and dosed Plantex CSM+B a bit over suggested EI dosing and the reds faded over a couple of weeks and the plants became green like the others. I would love to try again but don't know how I should approach...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Boof, different strokes for different plants. Some thrive on limiting nutrients while other do not. Some do well with certain lights while others do not. For example, when I transitioned from Halides to LED years ago on the reef tanks, there was a time when I had to experiment with the settings and cycles, par/pur, depth of penetration, etc. The same can be said for plants, different lighting can create different results. Some plants can acclimate while some can't. Some can survive but not thrive, etc.

People can argue with each other but it's hard to substantiate a point without repeated successive attempts. What may work for one individual may not for others even if everything seems the same on the surface. Just by telling people to bump up lighting, CO2, iron, potassium, nitrate, etc. etc. are all just speculations which may or may not work.

For example, I can run two tanks with the same equipment and yield totally different result just by changing a few things. It's hard to pin point what the exact area that requires attention without truly understanding the tank and what goes in and out of it. Two tanks can have the same equipment, the same schedule, the same dosing but different results. Why? You have to look at the livestock, the plants and ratio of the plants. What if certain plants absorb more nutrients than others. So if you have more of that plant in one tank vs the other, it will exhaust the nutrient source quicker. What about the substrate? Do you know the rate that the nutrients are being absorbed? There are varying factors to contribute to the success of a beautiful planted tank and reef tank. Something may work in year 1 may not work in year 2. It is important to observe the leaves, stems, the level of O2 produced on the leaves, etc. for changes.

So, send me a message with your tank's spec, what you want to keep, etc. as much information as you can think of, and I'll see if I can come up with something that'll work. List some plants you would like to keep, etc.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

4 Not allowed!
    The old 225 transformed into a forest, decided to keep it simple and only keep neons in there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Beautiful. Love the simplicity of the DW forest.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Page 71 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast