· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Yep, found them new homes and gave them away to other hobbyists I knew who were into discus. I believe some are still alive now. It speaks volume on their ability to bounce back from near death experience in the soup of toxin given the right care.

It was an expensive lesson for his parents, but could've been worse if he was doing other things. Good thing is he turned a new leaf, and I think that's something the family is thankful about.
    That's good to hear. Sounds like it was what was needed to push his parents onto a better path in terms of how they were raising him.

I don't know much about discus. I've heard mixed feelings about them in terms of keeping them in a planted tank. You mentioned this tank won't be planted. What are some of the difficulties associated with keeping them alongside plants? Are the animals destructive?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58   Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I'm in! Totally, Discus is my favorite fish. I read a post of yours that alluded to this incident in chatterbox the other day, now after the comments I'm almost afraid to read the whole story, but I probably will.

Can't wait to see this evolve.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

4 Not allowed!
    First time I've seen that thread.

I'm speechless....and that's saying something, right there
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    I just now read that old thread. I am so, so very sorry for your pain and suffering, for the pain and suffering of your beloved pets.

Your mental strength, internal stability and rationality throughout this ordeal is extraordinary. Words cannot convey how much I respect and admire you.

In simply reading that thread, I cried and cried and my stomach feels just sick.

*offering* your spirit a gentle hug, if you might be open to that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This. Is. SPS!!! - BIO-Linist   Now for somebody to spam you with discus - BIO-Linist   Discus and Beer! - Sandz   Thank you my friend! - JudiJetson   Your "light siesta" suggestion a while back worked wonders last week. Thanks! - ~firefly~   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    That's good to hear. Sounds like it was what was needed to push his parents onto a better path in terms of how they were raising him.

I don't know much about discus. I've heard mixed feelings about them in terms of keeping them in a planted tank. You mentioned this tank won't be planted. What are some of the difficulties associated with keeping them alongside plants? Are the animals destructive?
    Raising juveniles is just easier in a barebottom to empty tank. Not impossible to do in a planted tank, but it just requires more attention and work. Plus if you give them a place to hide, they'll hide. I find them to be more bold just leaving them in the open, but just ensuring that the bottom and back are covered at least, so they're not spooked. They don't pick on plants. The only interaction with plants is when they lay eggs if they can't find any other place to lay their eggs. I'm still debating on what size I'm going for on the discus.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Yes happy to hear your coming back to freshwater after reading that ordeal with the kid...

A plantless discus tank sounds ideal! After all the native tannin water in the Amazon will have few plants any way

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter - steeler58   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Those goldfish are lucky they've met you. - Slaphppy7   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

6 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    As difficult as this was to read, I have to say how much I admire your level-headedness regarding the whole horrible ordeal. It's very clear how much you care for your fish and I am looking forward to seeing your new Discus in their new home. They will be the luckiest "flat dinner plates" to have you as their owner!
    DM's 20g high - journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This. Is. SPS!!! - BIO-Linist   Now for somebody to spam you with discus - BIO-Linist   Discus and Beer! - Sandz   Thank you my friend! - JudiJetson   Your "light siesta" suggestion a while back worked wonders last week. Thanks! - ~firefly~   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    I just now read that old thread. I am so, so very sorry for your pain and suffering, for the pain and suffering of your beloved pets.

Your mental strength, internal stability and rationality throughout this ordeal is extraordinary. Words cannot convey how much I respect and admire you.

In simply reading that thread, I cried and cried and my stomach feels just sick.

*offering* your spirit a gentle hug, if you might be open to that.
    Thanks, RG. I have always been level headed and calm when things matter. What was on my mind then after the second of shock was to quickly resolve the issue and save whatever discus I can.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

6 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmerlin21 View Post
    As difficult as this was to read, I have to say how much I admire your level-headedness regarding the whole horrible ordeal. It's very clear how much you care for your fish and I am looking forward to seeing your new Discus in their new home. They will be the luckiest "flat dinner plates" to have you as their owner!
    Thanks, DM.

Probably my upbringing played some role in it. I was raised in the mountains under the tutelage of an old monk, my late master. I was a sickly child and my grandfather brought me to see his long time friend who would then became my master. He taught me breathing techniques and tai chi to fortify my body. He then taught me to read old scriptures and do daily chores. I stayed there until I was six and through those years, I learned much in the way of life, nature, and philosophy.

From the age of six until the day my grandfather died of cancer, I was under his strict military rules. I was his first grandchild at the time so he was even more strict on me. He named me Righteousness in the hopes that I walk life in an honorable path and do what is right.

This upbringing led me to be the person I am today.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast