· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Not a rainbow, but close enough I guess, lol - Slaphppy7   

Default 75gal stocking help

0 Not allowed!
    I am not new to fish tanks. Just not a 75 gal with a husband saying he wants a Rainbow Shark. We have always have community tanks (mainly Cardinals, different Neons, Angles, Pleco, and cories) in a 55gal. This is the first time he told me a type of fish he wants. So, I need help with what other fish I can have with a Rainbow (will be last fish added along with plecos). We have 5 Black Skirts in right now, and will be adding to them this weekend. We love big groups of fish.
    I don't have many plants in there right now. 4 Banana Plants, and 2 Java Ferns. One med piece of Mopani wood. I will be getting more wood(maybe some rocks) and plants when I find pieces I love (hopefully some tomorrow or Sat).

Tank Stats:
    Reg 75 gal
    Black sand
    Fluval FX5 (was bought when my husband had dreams of having a 300gal tank where the huge double brick fireplace sat in between the dining and living room.)
    Marineland 400w heater (set at 80)
    Reg stock light till I can get a plant light
    glass covers
    I have the light on a timer right now. On 7am-11am, off 11am-4pm, on 4pm-10pm. We have tons of natural light during the afternoon that you couldn't really tell the lights were on. We did this with the 55 gal(75gal took its place), it helped with the algae.

Main fish we want is Rainbow Shark and at least 2 BN/BH Plecos.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    If you really want the Rainbow shark you will have to keep fish that are just as aggressive as it is. Your black skirts will do well as would Sepae tetras, if you want an Asian theme, I've seen people keep Tiger barbs with them.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Pz6sAfi-omnZLA

Typical behavior
    Last edited by steeler58; 02-07-2016 at 04:30 AM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, he wants one so gotta make the hubby happy.
    We looked at our LFS (not Petsmart or Petco) for what they had when we bought wood (and 6 more black skirts) to make a cave tower (waiting for the silicon to dry). He wouldn't look at any that were under 3". We did see white shirts there. We never saw them before.
    I did order a Java Fern mat from Triton to add to the cave also to make it more hidden for the fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   heres your first angel - genocidex   Thanks for playing - mommy1   Here's a dollar for your SD...hope he's ok - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the treatment! - ~firefly~   

2 Not allowed!
    IMO Rainbow's are very rowdy and they will get physical . I have kept ONE in the past and they really did well with Tiger brabs. In a 75 you could have a very impressive school of at least 15 if not twenty along with the Shark , but if the shark stays healthy and eats correct I woul;d think that in a few short years th e Shark will outgrow that tank and will eat ANYTHING it can fit in its mouth . After a few years you will know it aint a Shark but a CATFISH . I think they are an awesome fish and can lead to hours and hours of interesting behavior .
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Just be careful when it gets bigger; it does not wipe out your entire tank, attractive fish yes but please show the husband the video and what most sites say about it's behavior.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    Just be careful when it gets bigger; it does not wipe out your entire tank, attractive fish yes but please show the husband the video and what most sites say about it's behavior.
    Good advice, I would heed it carefully.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

1 Not allowed!
    Which species of "rainbow shark" are you looking at here? There's a catfish commmonly sold under that common name that grows quite large, and eventually needs full salt water as an adult. There are also a couple cyprinid, related to the red tail shark, that are similar in disposition/territorial inclinations.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The later.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd add a group of Colombian tetras, they're fair sized like the black skirts, and would add some color as well.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^^

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Had to look them up. They are beautiful. Husband said to see if LFS has them next time I make a trip there. (Boys think it is like a zoo there).