· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question Aquatic "sow bugs" -- source?

0 Not allowed!
    I remember as a youngster exploring small creeks and drainage ditches near my home in St. Louis. I was enthralled with little fairy shrimp and had various breeding tanks to raise them for my tropical fish. At one point, I found a crustacean that looked like a sow bug or "rolly-poly" bug and about the same size that was totally aquatic. I raised these in one of my gammarus tanks successfully. However, life went on and I grew up and those old tanks long since went away. Does anyone know what these are? is there a source for them? They seemed interesting and like good scavengers albeit too tough for standard tropical fish to eat (maybe larger cichlids, etc.).
    Leo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    could be it was something called a "scud".. you could google that and see if it looks like you remember.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Oh-they do look like pill-bugs!

Seem to be pretty available as live food:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...oodl1385945404

http://goliadfarms.com/shop/gammarus-scuds/

but then I hit this site:
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88...ds-shrimp.html

you dont want to mess with them. yes they are easy to breed as feeders, but they are also IMPOSSIBLE to eliminate from any tank they are introduced to. and remember, they are plant eaters (especially mosses). and the big negative... if they cant get enough food, they WILL become carniverous, they have wiped out my opae ulae tank (yes they can adapt immediately from fresh to brackish water). they also will attack newly molted shrimp.

they are not worth messing with, go with daphnia if you need a live food source. scuds are just too hard to get rid of.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Oh-they do look like pill-bugs!

Seem to be pretty available as live food:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...oodl1385945404

http://goliadfarms.com/shop/gammarus-scuds/

but then I hit this site:
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88...ds-shrimp.html
    LOL, in the Aquabid description:

"In this mixed soup "Culture" of feeders you can expect to find Amphipods, Pond Snails, Red Grindal Worms, Paramecium, Rotifers, and Copepods."
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Scuds look kind of like pill bugs, but they're flattened laterally (sideways) instead of dorsoventrally (front to back) and move quite differently. Pill bugs are isopods, and in fact are the "odd one out" in the sense that most Isopods are actually aquatic and not terrestrial. Your aquatic isopod could be any if the numerous aquatic freshwater species that exist. Check this one out, for instance. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asellus_aquaticus

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the input. "Scuds" seems to be a large family of small crustaceans. I love my little gammarus fairy shrimp that are 1/8th to 1/4 inch long. I have not found these to be invasive. The "sow bug" looks like one of the images that shows up under the Corophium species. The freshwater version I remember did not have those "prehensile" front leg things. The "mugga" pictured in google images all seem to relate to salt water mud flats. The guy I had was fully freshwater. I bet this is the right species or family though so will search further.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks -- this sounds and looks like the one: Asellus aquaticus. The ones I remember were 1/2 inch long and seemed "tame" but I did not have them long before moving away for college. Is the "invasive" thing with the salt water version of copepods or are we talking about the freshwater isopods?