· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Can't seem to shake off new tank syndrome

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all, my first time posting in a fish community forum. About a month ago i received a 55 gallon tank with a stand. I am currently using the heater and filter that was included with the tank. I jumped the gun and put in fish before the nitrogen cycle could even get started. The fish are all still alive, except for a few that got sucked into the filter(RIP lil fishies). I have two angelfish, four glow tetras, two mollies, 3 catfish, 2 pictus catfish, one black fin shark, one rainbow fin shark, two plecos, one peacock gobi, and one yellow-spine eel(i think that's what it is called). I also have 4 potted plants. Anyways, my problem is that i cannot seem to shake the new tank syndrome. The water will not clear up. I tested the waters and the nitrates and ammonia levels are safe, the water is quite hard and my ph is a bit high(although my fish seem to have adjusted and are quite happy). I do 25% water changes once a week, but this week i did a 50% to see if it would help a bit more. It helped a bit, but the water is still cloudy. I have not really tried chemicals, but i tried a filter medium called "chemi-pure" that was supposed to clear up the waters but it did not help much. Can't think of any more details to provide, but if i'm missing some do tell! I'll include a current picture. Any tips and info will help. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    You may be underfiltered without enough space for heterotrophic bacteria to grow and consume organic compunds from decaying fish waste and uneaten food.

What type of filters do you have?

how much and how often do you feed the fish?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Hope you are well man - robflanker   Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   Happy Birthday - mommy1   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster   

0 Not allowed!
    looks like an aqueon filter... or something close to it. I would suggest investing in a better filter first off. Something like an Emperor400, an aquaclear 70, or a fluval C4. You'll get much better filtering power and a better bio setup.

Also, be patient... keep up on your water changes. Though I would suggest a larger weekly water change. I've had new tanks take a couple weeks and some that take a couple months... Avoid the chemicals. You dont need them. Save the money.
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Can never have too many corys! - Slaphppy7   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I think this is bacterial bloom. If there are no ammonia/nitrite reading I'd wait with waterchanges for the heterotrophic bacteria to have their meal. Patience will clear it up.
    No Cory, No Glory !!