· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find a betta so will send a ram - Lady Hobbs   but it needs a mate - Lady Hobbs   For sharing awesome cory advice! - WoadCelt   Welcome to AC - KingFisher   resident betta expert - Aeonflame   

Default My 75g is currently a blank slate

1 Not allowed!
    I've done some rearranging in my tanks and now have a completely empty 75g. Well.. Not COMPLETELY empty: there is a very large piece of driftwood, a smaller vine like piece of driftwood, a single corkscrew val, sand substrate and two slate cave structures.

I really have little idea what direction I want to go with this tank. Or rather, I'm all over the place. I'm considering focusing on corydoras but since I've done that before I'm not sure. I've thought of Apistos or Rams or Angels. Perhaps a semi aggressive tank with a large school of tiger barbs. Or an Asian biotope.

What I do know is that I want something that isn't going to chew my arm off during water changes (this tank used to house mbuna). My pH is a bit high, around 7.8 or so. I'd like to do low maintenance planted. The light on the tank is decent. I'm not opposed to pressurized CO2 but was kind of saving that for my upstairs, algae ridden tank.

Any ideas? Feel free to post pics of your tanks for inspiration.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Bolivian rams, Checker barbs, Harlequin and porkchop rasbora, neon tetra, SAE, otocinclus

"Mini Mbuna" 20g long - 1 M. pulpican, 1 M. joanjohnsonae

"Electric Blue Acara Tank" 75g - Giant danio, tiger barb, Bristlenose pleco

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    What a nice position to be in. Also a tough position because of all the options. But the planning is part of the fun.

I like the idea of highlighting cories, although I understand you've done that before. But since you've had the aggressive species, how about a calmer tank with a couple of larger schools of larger tetras along with the cories? Diamond tetras, emperor tetras, and/or congo tetras would look nice in there in good numbers with maybe a single angel. Or, 5 angels with a large school of rummy nose tetras or one of the other tetras and the cories. PH may be a little high for the rummys, but mine runs about 7.6 and the rummys have done very well for me.

Will be watching to see others' suggestions and what you finally decide. Have fun.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find a betta so will send a ram - Lady Hobbs   but it needs a mate - Lady Hobbs   For sharing awesome cory advice! - WoadCelt   Welcome to AC - KingFisher   resident betta expert - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    I just remembered my love for Electric Blue Acaras (saw some in my LFS). I may plan a tank around them.

Here are my initial thoughts

Mixed Tank
    -2 electric blue acara
    -20 tiger barbs
    -1 angelfish
    -1 bristlenose pleco

SA/CA Tank
    -2 electric blue acara
    -20 serpae tetra
    -1 angelfish (or will the serpae fin nip?)
    -1 bristlenose pleco

"Cookie Cutter" tank modified from cichlid forum
    -2 electric blue acara
    -5 banded rainbowfish
    -5 boeseman's rainbowfish
    -8 giant danio
    -1 bristlenose pleco

I also really enjoy Apistos, but I'm thinking most species will be too small to put with the Acara. I could always put them in my upstairs tank (26g community).
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Bolivian rams, Checker barbs, Harlequin and porkchop rasbora, neon tetra, SAE, otocinclus

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome back - mac   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Good post on FBK's thread - steeler58   No Message - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I think I'm heading for a blend of your SA/CA tank and your "Cookie Cutter" tank with my 100g. My plans are in flux until I have the tank fully stocked, heh. But I am sure that I'm going to get some rainbowfish, and DH wants Angelfish. And I am terribly tempted to get some blue acaras as well - they are beautiful!

So I'll definitely be watching what you stock in your tank, and how it works out for you.

I am going to try a group of Serpae tetras, at least 10-12 of them, in my 100 gallon tank; I just got the first 5 yesterday. They do have a reputation for fin-nipping and for harassing smaller fish. Supposedly that behavior is more likely in a small/crowded tank or if too few of them are kept together. I am hoping that in a big tank with lots of conspecific friends they will keep their energy and aggression within their shoal. But I won't know how things are going to work out for quite a while.

Tiger barbs have a reputation for nipping Angelfish fins, too. As with the Serpaes, that behavior is a lot less likely if you keep a big group (at least a dozen) of them. So it's good that you plan on getting a big group of Tigers to go with the Angelfish if you go with your mixed tank idea.

Hmmm...I guess I didn't contribute any new ideas, did I? Sorry!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I got 13 Serpaes yesterday. They are still hiding. I hope as I get more plants in the tank they become more visible. I still have no idea what I'm putting in there aside from the Serpaes, Acaras and bristlenose.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome back - mac   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Good post on FBK's thread - steeler58   No Message - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Except when lured out by food, my Serpaes stay in the mid to lower portions of the tank. I think that's because most of my plants/rocks/driftwood only go about halfway up the tank so far. I wonder whether they will make more use of the upper part of the tank when the background plants grow taller?

The ones I've had longer are getting used to me, but the ones I got Friday still dart away if I move too quickly. But as long as I don't move too suddenly, even the new fish are learning to ignore me when there's food to be had. I think pretty soon they will come to associate me with food and greet me when I approach the tank.
    100 gallon planted freshwater:
    7 x Boeseman's Rainbowfish, 11 x Cherry Barbs, 4 x False Julii Corydoras, 2 x Bristlenose pleco, and 1 common pleco who foils all my efforts to capture him

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Figured out how to get the Serpaes to come out: Manzanita wood and MORE SERPAES!

I think the Giant Danio help too. Those suckers aren't scared of anything.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'd move the wood off the front glass before you need to clean algae off the glass in front of it. Dope piece of wood though

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

1 Not allowed!
    Cryptoheros species would be nice....and you could keep a group of tiger barbs as well. Ive done them with acaras and serpas; work out just fine.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons