· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

Default What's going wrong?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so I always quarantine my fish, but for some reason I'm not having any luck keeping guppies alive through quarantine to add to my 20 gallon betta sorority. I'm trying to do 1 male and 3-4 females but they always seem to just... die. They will literally be perfectly fine when I wake up or go to bed, and then I will check on them at the next chance I get which can be as little as an hour later and they'll have wiped out en mass. My quarantine tank reads fine, pH is a little high but that's just the tap water where I live, no detectable ammonia, no detectable nitrites, slightly high nitrates (40 ppm give or take) but that's cuz the quarantine tank is a bit overloaded (it's a 5 gallon tank with a 15 gallon filter and it's only meant for fish to live in for the two week quarantine, I change the water every 3 days so I don't think that matters too much?)

I haven't had an issue like this in my quarantine tank before.
    No tanks currently

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Are you buying them from the same place every time?...could be weak stock

BUT, 40 ppm trAtes is too high....how often and how much water do you change?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

1 Not allowed!
    The two batches have been from different PetsMarts, but both have been from PetsMart, the Petco I live near hasn't had any guppies at all in stock lately (sold out since the after-Christmas sales, they've hardly had anything but Bettas and only those cuz they get a weekly shipment, most of their other fish are on every-other week or monthly deepending on various things), and the only other store around here that I know sells fish I boycott because I found they sell dyed fish (which is a pity cuz I almost never lost a fish I bought from them, but if you want to encourage a horrible practice like that you aren't getting my money).

I change every 3 days when I know the Qtank is over stocked I alternate between 2 gallon changes and 3.5 gallon changes to try and keep as much of the water clean as I can without completely shocking their systems. Never had a problem like this before (and I've had 4 bettas in there together before, my nitrates were reading close to 70 and I could not get my ammonia or nitrites to 0 no matter how hard I tried with that bioload, but they all lived and moved to the sorority tank without any hassle).
    No tanks currently

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    The two batches have been from different PetsMarts
    Poor/weak/sickly stock is my guess, and in their weakened state, the high trAtes are taking them down.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    You might look into getting a 10g tank for your QT. You should be able to find one for less than $15, and if it saves one batch of fish it pays for itself instantly.

I'm having trouble believing that 5 little guppies could generate that many nitrates, especially given the size and frequency of the water changes you're doing. I wonder if something else is going on.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    How often do you clean the filter on the QT?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Don't think I ever have... keep meaning to get around to it but then I go dump the old tank water without doing it and so I tell myself "I'll get it next time." As for the high nitrates I've had this tank for close to 4 years now and in that time it's hosted live plants, a snail infestation, been my bioculture starting point for new tanks and generally been slightly abused as a tank when I didn't have fish in there. Some of that is probably ingrained and built into the gravel (thin layer left over from other tanks) and silicone that holds the glass together by now, not to mention the decorations (bits and bobs from other tanks) and the rubber of the heater.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    4 years and the filter's never been cleaned??

I think it may be due.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For being fish-fan friendly! ;) - Rue   Beer mug for ya - Jaster   No Message - Gar   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Thanks for the reputation - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    For a QT tank IMO maybe you should try to just empty out the tank completely. Bare bottom no decore maybe 1 artificially cave tank. At least that's what has worked for me when I needed to QT fish and/or treat them.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

2 Not allowed!
    I'll clean the filter out when I empty it this time. and I did do bare bottom for a long time, it didn't work very well with my bettas (had one male I was quarantining to keep bash itself to death on the bottom cuz it could see it's reflection) and I always want to make sure there's places for everyone to hide to cut down on stress. But I can do a full hot water scrub on everything before trying again.
    No tanks currently