· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Another cac to further complicate things, lol - Slaphppy7   

Default Cacatuoides : pair or 2 females?

0 Not allowed!
    I am in a bit of a dilemma here. I was sold 2 females cacatuoides, they were both small though one was bigger than the other, and they were bright yellow at the time, one had a jet black line on each sides with the black line on the eyes, the other had a jet black spot on each side.
    Now, they have grown, but I started having doubts about one of them. The size of the dorsal fin of the bigger one got me perplexed, and reminded me of a male one. At one point they were in the same spot under an ornament, and they were both flicking their tales at each other. I got on youtube and found a video about two females fighting for the same spot, which looked like the behaviour I was observing from my fishes. At one point they had a good fight just outside the same spot, and the smaller one seemed to have won.
    Now she is not there anymore, and when the small one come out, if the bigger one spot her, he/she seem to chase her away until the small one go and hide.
    I had a pair of them before, but when the male was going near the female, he was bending his tail in anticipation, then was flicking at the female, but the female never flicked her tale back, she adopted a submmissive position by presenting her side to him, then scarper.
    As well, the bigger one is as grumpy as my first male, and can pick on any fish going too near, if he/she decides so.
    Now, the plan was to buy 2 females, then introduce a male at a later date, but now I don't know whether I need to buy a male or a female.
    So, are they 2 females with one of them dominant/butch or are they male and female?LATEST 117.jpg
    31.5 gallons tank, Fluval 306 external filter, 9 cardinal tetras, 2 cockatoo apistos, 4 three-lined corys, 4 celebes rainbowfish, 1 gardneri lafia gold killlifish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't a clue, maybe this will help?

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ma-cacatuoides
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Another cac to further complicate things, lol - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I should have posted this one in the Dwarf Cichlid section. I saw south american cichlid and I thought that was it
    31.5 gallons tank, Fluval 306 external filter, 9 cardinal tetras, 2 cockatoo apistos, 4 three-lined corys, 4 celebes rainbowfish, 1 gardneri lafia gold killlifish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    I can move it there for you, if you wish

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   T.G.I.F. - showmebutterfly   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    is the pic you posted of the 2 you have? It actually looks like 2 males...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, they are the two I have got. And maybe it would be a good idea to move the thread in the appropriate forum? Do males get very yellow when they are young? I know they could never stand each other since I got them.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Slaphppy7

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Anytime.....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    the one on the right does looks to be male from the length of the dorsal rays.. Can't really tell to much from the other maybe get a couple more shots of the fins extended if possible

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    When I had Cacas only the males got this big. Females were smaller and less colored than males.
    No Cory, No Glory !!