· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   heres your first angel - genocidex   Thanks for playing - mommy1   Here's a dollar for your SD...hope he's ok - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the treatment! - ~firefly~   

Default How to best sprout bulb

0 Not allowed!
    I guess the title is the question but I would like to know the best way to get the Nymphea lotus bulb to sprout before I place it in the substrate so I'll know which end is up . I have what I call the "budding net". Its some nylon screen lowered into the water column in front of the out flow of one of my HOB's and about 5 inches away from the lighting .I have sprouted Apo's and water Onion in it , plus I have Peace lily and water Iris growing in the screen and everything is doing great . My final question , Should I leave the Lily bulb in the screen even after 3 weeks , even if it doesn't sprout , and should the bulb float or sink when I drop it in the tank .Any and all replies are welcomed and very much appreciated . I'll post pic of net so you can see what I'm doing . THANKS for your time and Happy FISHKEEPING.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Bulbs should not float, they should sink. I actually got mine as full plants, when they make baby bulbs I leave them to grow leaves and roots before planting. I have Eco complete in the tank. After 3 weeks if the bulb feels soft its rotting and you need to remove it.

Nice info here:
    http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatfi.../#.Vqkbz_krLq4
    Just one last note -when you buy a Tiger Lotus, just drop the bulb in the area that you want to see it grow. Do not bury the bulb, it rot if its covered. Simply leaving the bulb on the substrate is the best way to start these plants out. The new sprouts will anchor themselves down in the substrate with their roots and begin growing out and up in no time.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   heres your first angel - genocidex   Thanks for playing - mommy1   Here's a dollar for your SD...hope he's ok - Slaphppy7   Good luck with the treatment! - ~firefly~   

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you Boundava Ive been reading all day trying to find an answer and I havn't really got a lot of help . Seems like it can go either way I have come to the conclusion to just let it stay in Peace lily holder until it either sprouts or becomes soft and mushy . If it doesn't sprout after 6 weeks I'm going to order one online that is already ready to plant in the substrate . Again thank you for your time . I will let you know when it sprouts or if not I'll ask about best place to order live plants . Oh by the way I returned one today to petsmart and they gave me the whole pack with 2 onions , 3 Apos and tjhe lily . Good deal if you ask me . The new bulb is pretty hard and one end of it has a tit like an acorn . Would the tit be the bottom . One more thing , it did not sink but I feel like its a good one because its so hard and I couldn't find any worm holes so I think I may have gotten lucky with this one . I will let you know . Bye-Bye and thanks .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome back - mac   So sorry for your loss :( - steeler58   Good post on FBK's thread - steeler58   No Message - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I don't know about Tiger Lily specifically, but most teardrop shaped bulbs go point up. There is usually a hard circular area on the bottom / base called a basal plate from which the roots sprout. Leaves / stems generally emerge from the pointy top.

Tiger Lily could be an exception, but what I described above is what I've always observed in terrestrial gardening.
    100 gallon planted freshwater:
    7 x Boeseman's Rainbowfish, 11 x Cherry Barbs, 4 x False Julii Corydoras, 2 x Bristlenose pleco, and 1 common pleco who foils all my efforts to capture him

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks Laura ,now you have given me something else to research !

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    MY FINAL:: conclusion is that I should have done what I was going to do in the first place , just place the bulb in the tank where you want it to grow and leave it be .I will let you know where this goes .The lily is going to be in my 75 JD tank with Apos and Anacharis . The older plants are going on 3 months.I am going to leave it in there 2months before disturbing the bulb . If it hasn't sprouting by then I'll just turn it in for another.
    Last edited by eltylT; 01-29-2016 at 01:55 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    sorry about that . Im rereading this I think I worded something wrong and couldn't figure out the right way to word what I"m trying to say

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Edit of first post ,,,,,,I'll take the bulb out after 28 days if it hasn't sprouted . Again Sorry bout that

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    "Carib Sea Flora Max" What is the opinion on this for substrate in the little 7.5gallon ,soon to be WELL planted Betta tank ?Thank You

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I havn't used it-I used the Eco complete in my planted tanks-never breaks down, great CEC helps to pull nutrients from water column into substrate and hold them till the plants use them. I am thinking of trying the ADA amazonian soil when I rescape the tank into an asian theme sometime in the coming month or so. but I will be adding a bag or to to go along with the eco that is already in my tank. That stuff supposedly will cause an ammonia spike in the tank, but I will hold that in a tub for a couple/few weeks with areation to get rid of the ammonia, and then its supposed to help lower pH, since mine is around 7.6/7.8 its something I look forward to happening.
    Last edited by Boundava; 02-04-2016 at 01:44 AM.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore