· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Hope you are well man - robflanker   Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   Happy Birthday - mommy1   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster   

2 Not allowed!
    They're itchy... think of it like poison ivy on us. They are not very happy right now.
    would you be able to post up a couple pictures? Lets make sure it is just ich and we don't see any other issues.
    It's a good sign that they are eating though. As long as they're swimming, eating, and pooping that is a positive sign.
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    20160126_114716.jpg

he has the white spots on his fins and under their belly they have red streaks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    red streaks are septicemia, which is a secondary infection. It can go away if the fish's immune system is strong enough. Did you add the full dosage of salt in one day?

You can use any noniodized salt. It is just as effective as th API aquarium salt but much cheaper. I've used Morton's Ice cream salt, sea salt, pickling salt, and noniodized table salt. I've know folks who used Marine salt because they had that, and it was effective against ich as well.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yup i did the full dose 2 days ago and 25% water change per day and im replacing the salt each change. Im using api salt. Also im adding pimafix and ive stopped medicine. The heat is at 28 celcius and my fish are not swimming or eating, can the heat stress them? Also how long do i need to leave it at 30 celcius to kill the ich?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    The red streaks are from adding the full dosage of salt too fast. It should have been over a 2day period.

Do not use pimafix, it won't help in this situation and it could make it worse by lowering the oxygen content of the water.

I would add an airstone or increase water surface agitation to get more oxygen into the water. 30c should be maintained for 10-14 days after you no longer see the white spot.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have my filter output breaking the surface of the water and a powerhead that goes underwater should that be enough for oxygen.? I dont have and airpump anymore sadly

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    See if you can point the powerhead up towards the surface at an angle to break more of the water surface. That should be enough.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Today it looks like their tails are starting to shread..

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    today the ich is looking worse, does it need to look worse before it gets better? tank has been at 30 celsius for almost 24 hours. fish are really red and their tails are starting to look shreaded.one fish is starting to get brown spots under his scales. do i just wait it out?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yes the ich will look worse first. The temperature is speeding up the life cycle of the parasite.

Have you measured ammonia and nitrites? What's the PH? Their immune system has been compromised by the ich, and are now showing signs of bacterial infection.