· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Mistaken ich?!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Unhappy Mistaken ich?!

0 Not allowed!
    Hey friends!

I recently bought a royal gramma a week ago today. When I woke up this morning to check on him and he had very large white dots on his face. I was mortified that my new gramma probably had ich. I looked into it and could not identify ich that was so large. The pictures I saw were tiny little dots all over the fish's body. My gramma had very large white dots on his face and tail. I could not look at him for very long because I was already running late for a class. So I went to class and came back an hour later to see that some of the dots were gone. I wanted to examine him closer so I moved him to a 5 gallon bucket. Once I moved him to the bucket I saw that he was covered in what looked like air bubbles. There was nothing left on him but just regular old air bubbles. Could it be that I mistook this for ich? Or is it possible that once I moved him the ich came off? Thanks for any responses. Also just a question for future reference, if he does have ich should I see if I could return him to the local store? Is this a common practice or is considered your problem once the fish has ich?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    What substrate do you have?

Could have been bubbles or sand.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    ok so now that I have gotten a chance to look at him with a flash light it is obvious that he white little dots over his face and gills. As asked before, should I try to return him or is this considered my problem now?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    He also has pale looking patches on his sides where he is purple.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    ok so now that I have gotten a chance to look at him with a flash light it is obvious that he white little dots over his face and gills. As asked before, should I try to return him or is this considered my problem now?
    That will depend solely on the fish store. If it's a LFS and not one of the chains, I'd have a discussion with them at least, to see if any others from that tank are also sick. If they are, they may very well just take him back. If they are not, they may blame it on your tank and its maintenance.

If it is from a chain, sometimes they have warranties - 1 or 2 weeks - for fish that die. I don't know about diseased fish, but worth asking. At any rate, if you have Ich in the tank, you will have to treat the tank even if you remove the fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

More coffee for your nose :-) - Taurus   Happy Mothers day :) - steeler58   A book for compleating your's ;-) - steeler58   Happy Birthday USA on the 4th! Hope you are well :-) - Taurus   A geo because i miss yours! - Sandz   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    photo or video of the fish would help
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp