· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: new tank

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default new tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I'm starting a 38 gallon tank and want to put some Cichlids in it.
    I'm going to get a couple of Rams and wanted to put live plants in it.
    My questions are What types of plants and also what kind of tank mates
    would be ok with the rams?

Thanks,
    Bob

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    to the AC. I don't know anything about cichlids but I'm sure someone who does will pop in with info. Congrats on the new tank!
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For being fish-fan friendly! ;) - Rue   Beer mug for ya - Jaster   No Message - Gar   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Thanks for the reputation - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    What about an Angelfish and a pleco.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

3 Not allowed!
    Tetras are great with rams and would compliment there colors well. some tetras are very vibrant. I don't think a Angel would be suitable in a 38G potentially one would. But at the risk of its health and possible aggression towards your more typically docile rams. Also a common pleco is out. But a dwarf L pleco species could do just fine in a 38.

Corydoras are always a fun and useful addition to your community what are the dimensions of your 38?

Any plants should do fine with the rams..they do not dig as much as the larger cichlids will. However its always a good idea to get proper substrate for roots to anchor.

And what will dictate which plants are best for your tank. would also depend on the type of lighting you currently have. as well as substrate.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 01-26-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome to AC, I also am not familiar with cichlids, but will be following your journal to see how your tank comes together.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My tank is
    36"L 12"W 20"H. And the filter is a Marineland H.O.T. Magnum 250. I think I'm going to go with white sand for the substrate.
    The light is a Aqueon full spectrum 17W T8 24" I can get a different lamp if there is better one for plants.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

another ram for you! - AmazonJoe   Merry Xmas - fellow Vacuum Lover! - Rue   Happy holidays to you as well! - Faded   for your journal - Hailey   A four leaf clover for good luck for your female GBR - DebinWhitmore   

2 Not allowed!
    Have you kept cichlids before? I've kept a lot and depending on which type of rams can change everything. I only ask because I've been through some ups and downs very recently trying to keep German Blue Rams, you really want a WELL established tank, talking months here...and very strict water conditions. Bolivian Rams however, are much more hardy. Are you looking to breed them? or just have a well balanced tank? Anything to do with dwarf cichlids gets my attention...and if you want something better for plants check out Current USA lighting...lots of people here use that light and love it
    55 Gallon Planted W/CO2 Injection. Regulator from Green Leaf Aquariums. Lights from Current USA. Filter Rena Filstar-XP3 Rena Filstar XP-M. Fish? Just ask...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC! Last year I kept a pair of EB rams and a pair of angelfish with no problems in a similar-sized tank as yours, actually pretty much the exact same. Angelfish are more top strata and rams will stay near the bottom. I find the two do very well together and keep juvies all together all the time. So it can work in your tank. I nice school of mid-sized tetras (I recomend red or black phantoms) and your tank will dazzle.

But...I agree with Altima. You should slow down there a bit and start your tank, let the plants do their thing, have them growing well, before adding German Blue rams (also Electric Blue or Gold) especially. Their Bolivian cousins are slighly easier to keep due to their broader water parameters. It's ok, you can do it eventually, no problem.

That's another thing, I don't know if you're new to keeping aquariums or not.