· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

another ram for you! - AmazonJoe   Merry Xmas - fellow Vacuum Lover! - Rue   Happy holidays to you as well! - Faded   for your journal - Hailey   A four leaf clover for good luck for your female GBR - DebinWhitmore   

Default Apistogramma questions

0 Not allowed!
    So I've been looking at these cichlids here recently, doing some research and trying to figure out what would be a hearty pair that would work well in my 55 gallon planted aquarium, if anyone has any experience with the apistogramma species? The fish that I have in my tank are listed below in my signature. If you have any questions just let me know. Any response and help is very much appreciated
    55 Gallon Planted W/CO2 Injection. Regulator from Green Leaf Aquariums. Lights from Current USA. Filter Rena Filstar-XP3 Rena Filstar XP-M. Fish? Just ask...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This. Is. SPS!!! - BIO-Linist   Now for somebody to spam you with discus - BIO-Linist   Discus and Beer! - Sandz   Thank you my friend! - JudiJetson   Your "light siesta" suggestion a while back worked wonders last week. Thanks! - ~firefly~   

1 Not allowed!
    What is your plan here? Any breeding and what/if anything else did you want to add to that tank?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

another ram for you! - AmazonJoe   Merry Xmas - fellow Vacuum Lover! - Rue   Happy holidays to you as well! - Faded   for your journal - Hailey   A four leaf clover for good luck for your female GBR - DebinWhitmore   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    What is your plan here? Any breeding and what/if anything else did you want to add to that tank?
    Thank you for responding. I wouldn't mind if they breed, I don't care though as long as it doesn't mean removing either parent, I've got two Siamese algae eaters, two otos, and around 10 Amano shrimp. The only thing I was considering adding was two or 3 more otos. Depending on the species my lfs may take them for store credit, as I have only the 1 tank I don't want it to become over run
    55 Gallon Planted W/CO2 Injection. Regulator from Green Leaf Aquariums. Lights from Current USA. Filter Rena Filstar-XP3 Rena Filstar XP-M. Fish? Just ask...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    I had the Apistogramma cacatuoides for a short time - not much luck with these. They bred once shortly after getting them and it was fun watching how the parents took care of the fry. They would herd them out of their cave in the am, then back in at night. The fry were ultimately lost either to others in the tank or the parents themselves.

The male eventually beat up/killed the female. I then lost the male several months after that. But I would try again if I had the right conditions, which I don't have at the moment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I had the Apistogramma cacatuoides for a short time - not much luck with these. They bred once shortly after getting them and it was fun watching how the parents took care of the fry. They would herd them out of their cave in the am, then back in at night. The fry were ultimately lost either to others in the tank or the parents themselves.

The male eventually beat up/killed the female. I then lost the male several months after that. But I would try again if I had the right conditions, which I don't have at the moment.
    Wow those are such beautiful fish, shame you had to go through that. The more I read...the more I think a Bolivian Ram is the right choice...since they won't be as picky about conditions and aren't as "inbread" as the Bolivian's. Suggestions?