· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sil's 10G

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas back at you ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

Default Sil's 10G

1 Not allowed!
    I will be setting a new 10G for my Blue Betta and Green Neons. I ordered the glass versa- top, Current USA Satellite+ and Caribsea Torpedo Beach substrate from Fosters/Smith. I will be taking the AC20 from my 20G. I ordered an AC50 from Amazon to put in it's place. I already have an adjustable heater.

So my first question is: The AC20 only fits a small bag of media. I have an available small bag of seeded media in my 75G that I can place in the AC20. Since this tank will only be housing one betta and 9 green neons (to start) do you think that I will need to dose with ammonia? If so, should I dose with the full required amount (per the chart) or use less?
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    So basically, should you fishless cycle or not?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thank you for the Endlers!!! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We miss you, Deb. - WhistlingBadger   

1 Not allowed!
    Yay for a new journal and a very good question. I would think that you will be ok and have an immediate cycle. I can't recall how many neons there will be? Depending on how many neons that could be such a very small bioload. But to be sure, you could dose with ammonia. There is a chart I'll have to find a link to that says how much to dose for what size gallon tank and what % ammonia you want to end up with. I would think you would only want 1-2 % ammonia for a small bioload.

Hopefully others with more experience than me will chime in here.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thank you for the Endlers!!! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We miss you, Deb. - WhistlingBadger   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas back at you ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Yes that is the question, to fishless cycle or not. It will start with 9 neons. I think what Deb suggested wouldn't hurt just to be sure the tank does get cycled. I have the calculator chart but wasn't sure if I should just go ahead and start with the full 1.2ml dose or use less since I will be placing a bag of seeded media in the AC20.
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas - SueD   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Good luck with your goldfish tank - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    ^^^I agree^^^ you should be good to go but you could do a small dose of ammonia and watch the parameters for a week to make sure.

I think this is the calculator link;

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

or here a UK version:

http://linuxhost.matsp.co.uk/calcula...ia-cycling.php
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; 1st with 4 chilis, green endlers & Bloody Mary shrimp and 2nd with blue star endlers and Blue Dream shrimp
    Four-27 gallon tubs, 1st w/ BN plecos; 2nd w/ gouramis, rainbow fish, kuhli, dojos and female endlers; 3rd w/ albino corys, pepper cory, panda corys; 4th is 90% plants and one Diva-pea puffer.

75g-now the TUB tanks:
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks
    75g-Goldfish Tank

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    A small dose is what I will do Better to be safe than sorry.
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Thank you for your friendship - Silbar   Happy Easter - Silbar   Happy Father's Day! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    For a 10G, 1 ppm is plenty....then, follow the fishless cycle instructions to a "T", and you should be fine

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Thanks! Will do Boss. You have taught me so much
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Just sharing what I was taught, is all!