· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Java Fern?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Java Fern?

0 Not allowed!
    I havent been able to find any infomation on this but.. I received my java fern about a month and a half ago. It had little black/brown spots on one side of the leaves that I assumed were snail eggs. But I wasnt sure because the spots were all uniform in size and evenly and symmetrically spaced. So I just added it to see what happens. I cant take a picture right now but some of the spots seem to be turning into plantlets that look like a cross between a small java fern and C. parva. But some of the spots, have some other growth coming out of them.. At first I thought it was algae but never had the chance to wipe it away.. but now it kind of looks very plantlet like as well but very bushy/hairy looking and looks less like the other plantlets and more like a miniature version of Asparagus aethiopicus 'Sprengeri'.

Any idea what that is?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

4 Not allowed!
    That is java plantlets, it is how the plant reproduces.

Let them grow out, they'll make a tiny plant of leaves and roots....then you can break or cut them off and plant elsewhere, just keep the rhizome above the substrate.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

another ram for you! - AmazonJoe   Merry Xmas - fellow Vacuum Lover! - Rue   Happy holidays to you as well! - Faded   for your journal - Hailey   A four leaf clover for good luck for your female GBR - DebinWhitmore   

1 Not allowed!
    A couple weeks ago when I was in my LFS buying plants I noticed that they had pieces of Java fern on the bottom of the tank, I asked the employee who was helping me and he agreed to give me the remaining bits, at first it looked very menial, but I went ahead and tested this anyway and wrapped with cotton sewing thread the small pieces to a piece of driftwood in my tank. It is starting to actually carpet the driftwood, I really wasn't expecting the Java fern to even survive let alone start to grow. This stuff is really indestructible.
    55 Gallon Planted W/CO2 Injection. Regulator from Green Leaf Aquariums. Lights from Current USA. Filter Rena Filstar-XP3 Rena Filstar XP-M. Fish? Just ask...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Yes, java fern is the easiest plant to keep grow, IMO

Here's some images of the "plantlets" that you are seeing

https://www.google.com/search?q=java...w=1280&bih=631
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Yeah as many have stated that's one way it reproduces-they are "spores" and the babies grow from them and eventually fall off and "grow up" (growing up is so over-rated!). They can also produce buds (clones) on their roots.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats on your healthy, growing Java Fern.

I keep intending to buy some of the regular JF variety.