· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

Default Carib Sea substrate decision

1 Not allowed!
    I am in the process of setting up a 10 G tank to transfer my blue Betta into. Trying to decide on substrate to use. What are your experiences with Carib Sea ? It will have the back glass blacked out and it will have live plants. With luck I will be able to add some Green Neon , shrimp and Pygmy cories. I am looking at Crystal River or Topeda Beach as options. Because my Betta is blue I want him to be able to stand out. I need to decide today to complete my Drs F/S order (20% promo code FAMILY20 ) ends today. I'm also getting the glass top, AC filter and Current USA Satellite+.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Pretty light in weight, and easily gets sucked up by the python water change when you put it into the substrate. PFS sand is larger in comparison and doesn't get sucked up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    What is PFS? Is that pool filter sand? That isn't the same as the Zeobrite that they also use in pool filters is it? I don't want the substrate to be so fine that it gets sucked up.
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    What is PFS? Is that pool filter sand? That isn't the same as the Zeobrite that they also use in pool filters is it? I don't want the substrate to be so fine that it gets sucked up.
    Yes PFS is pool filter sand.

If you have a planted tank, you will more likely not let the python touch the substrate anyway.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Carib Sea does come in different grains sizes so if anyone has experience with this product I would like to know if it rinses easily, etc.
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

2 Not allowed!
    Torpedo beach is a heavy and slightly larger grain sand; it is larger than any PFS I have used. Plants also love the stuff despite being inert, it doesn't compact and is a good size for root growth.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry I just have the Tahitian moon sand-black one and I don't have any issues with it being ultra fine and lightweight. When one has sand in a tank you don't really stick the python in it as it will suck up any weight of sand; you lightly go over the surface to get what is laying on top of the sand. I was looking at some comments and the crystal river grain size is like sugar in the raw sized-so not at all fine, but larger and coarse so no issues with it being super fine and compacting.

http://www.amazon.com/Carib-Sea-ACS0.../dp/B003JVU03O
    Question: Is this a roughly standard size grain size? similar to beach, sand or much larger? like twice as large? or 10x as large?
    Answer: It's like sugar in the raw or coarse grinder salt
    By Crowned on July 13, 2015
    It is like beach sand.
    By book wyrm on July 13, 2015
    Here's a side by side...looks like the torpedo beach is the largest of the two with the crystal river being comparable to pool sand. I don't think you will have issues with it. I like the natural tan-ish color of the Torpedo Beach, but the crystal River is nice too.

Picture1.jpg
    Last edited by Boundava; 01-19-2016 at 03:16 PM.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the Topedo. That helps a lot. How does the National Geographic substrate sold at Petsmart rinse? I want something that will not take forever to rinse.
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Sorry I just have the Tahitian moon sand-black one and I don't have any issues with it being ultra fine and lightweight. When one has sand in a tank you don't really stick the python in it as it will suck up any weight of sand; you lightly go over the surface to get what is laying on top of the sand.
    If you have substrate moving cichlids, you should be putting the gravel vac in the sand since they can bury what is on top of the sand as they look for food or stake out territories.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    This tank is going to be for a betta so no earth-movers, so that doesn't seem to be an issue that Silbar will face, the options he has should work fine with his stock.

So Silbar, did you wind up getting one of them with the discount?
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore