· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Cycling a 3 gallon tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone, I am new here so I apologize in advance if this subject has already been resolved/asked in another post. My friend no longer wanted her betta, so she went ahead and gave him to me. He is currently in a 3 gallon tank that I bought him with a filter and heater. I made sure to put the filter at the lowest setting for him. I also put a pound of gravel at the bottom of the tank. No live plants, just plastic plants (I plan on buying him silk plants soon). I was just a little confused about something. Currently, his tank has not been cycled. A couple of informational websites online had said that it was important to add bacteria supplement before adding the fish in order to cycle the water. So currently, his water has bacteria supplement...after adding the bacteria supplement, I found that you should never add bacteria supplement as it never lets the natural cycle to finish (read this online). Should I remove the bacteria supplement from the water? I also read online that tanks under 5 gallons do not need to be cycled but do need regular (or more) water changes. Is this true? What would be recommended to do? (should I cycle his tank? How?) And if it doesn't need to be cycled, how many times should I do water changes? Should I test his water regularly for pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and other things? I just want him to be healthy thank you all! I tried my best to research online, but I just keep getting more confused...there are different answers for everything
    Last edited by foobilari; 01-08-2016 at 02:22 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    All tanks need to be cycled since ammonia that is released by the fish can kill it.

Not all bacteria supplemented are created equal, meaning not every bacterial supplement has the required bacteria to instantly cycle a tank.

You need a liquid test kit like the APi freshwater master test kit. You need a water conditioner like Kordon Amquel plus which can be dosed easier for such a small tank than Seachem Prime unles you have a syringe. Until you get the test kit, I would change out 50% of the water everyday, dosing with water conditioner for the entire tank volume. In the meanwhile read up on the fish in cycle. http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492