· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Hope you are well man - robflanker   Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   Happy Birthday - mommy1   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster   

Default so I want a 250g... need some thoughts

1 Not allowed!
    So I'm kicking the idea around of getting a much larger (dream) tank and could use some advise. I want a 200-250g tank and I'm not sure if I should go glass or acrylic. I know either will be strong enough and the acrylic is lighter. If I can put it where I plan to, its an inside wall and will be sitting over a 12x12 cross support beam that already has 2 braces plus the two original posts. its where my 90g sits now. Anyway... My biggest concern is scratches and care of an acrylic tank. I'm leaning more to glass at this point because of that. The overall cost has me leaning to glass as well.

My other question is where is a good place to get something that big? I have my local fish guy checking some stuff out for me but I kind of want to see where others have gone.

So any thoughts or advise (or things I might not have thought of) would be great!

Ideas on getting this through the wife would be good too.... She knows the tanks is going to cost and she brought up lights filters heaters this that... She's too smart... and she doesn't do jewelry. So can't bribe with diamonds...
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

5 Not allowed!
    Well I agree the glass is a more feasible approach especially getting it passed the "boss".

I would have to recommend ebay.. however that is very risky with that much water and weight to get something used :/

I have seen this site and well the price is under a grand that seems pretty good to me..not sure about shipping though.
    They also have a Filtration Package that you can show the "boss" lol
    http://www.customaquariums.com/p-14-...72l-x-24d.aspx

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

nice loach setup! - James`   Have another Clownloach for your school :) - steeler58   Have another clown loach ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

3 Not allowed!
    You will be able to get a marineland in that size. I would get glass myself if it was me. Once tanks start getting larger than 125g they really start going up in price. Depending on your filtration you will have another decent expense in that area as well depending on what you go with.
    220g Frontosa tank.
    210g monster fish tank.
    125g planted wild altum tank
    55g grow out tank.
    29g quarantine tank.

Video of my 125
    https://youtu.be/-ELr8DgX4BY

Video of my 220.
    https://youtu.be/aqZU9NV-ykQ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Hope you are well man - robflanker   Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   Happy Birthday - mommy1   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster   

1 Not allowed!
    I thought about ebay but for that kind of money I want to be able to trust it. I haven't had good luck there... I like that site though. Some very nice ways for me to spend a lot of money! lol I wouldn't mind craigslist because at least then I can go see it before hand. No one within 100 miles is selling one though. Then I have to rent a uhaul to go get it.Pretty sure it wont fit in my Avenger... lol

The marineland tanks is what my local guy will be looking into for me. That's what he sells.

I'll probably be building my own stand and hood for it. So I figure I'll be able to save a few bucks there. As far as filtration I really want twin FX6's.

I know I'm going to pay out the nose for this but tax returns are coming. lol
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For being fish-fan friendly! ;) - Rue   Beer mug for ya - Jaster   No Message - Gar   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Thanks for the reputation - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I also like that site Custom Aquariums is the best I have found. Maybe start looking at lights on e-bay. Tell your wife its an investment. I found buying my girlfriend a new pet helps make a new tank go over easier. You gotta find something she really wants. Then just happen to get the tank delivered that next day. (Heres your new puppy. Oh well I figured you got your puppy I would get my tank.) lol surprise!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

nice loach setup! - James`   Have another Clownloach for your school :) - steeler58   Have another clown loach ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    If I was setting up a 265 to run it would have 2 FX-6s and 3 aquaclear 110s
    220g Frontosa tank.
    210g monster fish tank.
    125g planted wild altum tank
    55g grow out tank.
    29g quarantine tank.

Video of my 125
    https://youtu.be/-ELr8DgX4BY

Video of my 220.
    https://youtu.be/aqZU9NV-ykQ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  You need some fish on your wall. - WhistlingBadger   Here's another one.  That's more like it. - WhistlingBadger   Congrats for the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the fry! - DebinWhitmore   

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 255G setup running and I run 2 fluval FX 5's and 2 AC 110's.
    255 Gallon African Cichlid Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold Head, Neolamprologus Multifasciatus and cyprichromis Leptosoma Mamalesa
    37 Gallon community
    10 Gallon betta
    75 Gallon in progress

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

2 Not allowed!
    A few things for you to think about that I learned while putting my 300g together:

Yes, Glass is cheaper and is a lot less likely to scratch, but don't discount the weight difference during your setup process. I tried doing the math and figured my 300g acrylic tank weighs about 250 pounds. That's light enough that I could move it with the help of one friend. I had to move it several times as I worked on the setup and built the stand. A glass 250 gallon tank would weigh over 400 pounds. You'd need a small squad of people to move it.

Drilled or not drilled? Drilled tanks are somewhat more expensive but allow you to run a sump if you want.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  You need some fish on your wall. - WhistlingBadger   Here's another one.  That's more like it. - WhistlingBadger   Congrats for the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the fry! - DebinWhitmore   

2 Not allowed!
    Brhino make a good point about not discounting the weight for glass I never weighed my tank but was told that it was around 500 pounds by the aquarium builder. I knew that I was going to have to move the tank and would not have anyone to help so I built a dolly to leave the tank on so it was mobile and after I built my stand I used 2 truck jacks to lift the tank and dolly up to the height needed to be able to slide it on the stand.
    255 Gallon African Cichlid Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold Head, Neolamprologus Multifasciatus and cyprichromis Leptosoma Mamalesa
    37 Gallon community
    10 Gallon betta
    75 Gallon in progress

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sure it would heavy as hell. I didn't think about moving when setting things up. For me getting a couple people to help wouldn't be too hard but that is definitely something to consider. Thanks guys!

Well since you have an acrylic Brhino, how is it to clean it and such? What do you use to clean it? How stressed out do you get about scratches?

I'm certainly not opposed to getting an acrylic I've just never had a chance to play with one so I really know nothing about them.

Holy crap that's a lot of filtration Jason! Why so much out of curiosity?
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast