Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
  ...

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    8

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default Starting New 20 Gallon Long, Need Questions Answered.


    0 Not allowed!
    Hello, my name is Liam and I am semi experienced in the fish tank world, as I have a healthy 10 gallon tank with Dwarf Gouramis and White Mountain Minnows. That is a very basic tank that has fake plants and gravel substrate, but I am planning on making a 20 Gallon Long planted tank in the Iwagumi Style. I have bought some items and know the others I am going to buy but here is a list of my setup and after that I have a few questions I was hoping more experienced aquarists could answer.

    20 Gallon Long Tank:
    - Substrate: ADA Amazonia
    - Filter: Hydor Canister Filter - 250
    - Light: 30 Inch Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED
    - Heater: Aqueon 100 Watt Pro Heater
    - CO2 System: CO2 Regulator with Solenoid
    CO2 Tubing - 10 Feet
    Bubble Counter with Check Valve
    Atomic Inline Co2 Diffuser 12/16mm

    I am planning on housing a school of 14-16 Cardinal Tetras. It will be planted with a carpet of Dwarf Baby Tears and occasional spots of Dwarf Hairgrass around the rocks.

    Questions:

    1. Will the Hydor Canister Filter - 250 provide enough flow in the tank or should I invest in 240 GPH Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pump?

    2. Will the ADA Amazonia soil start the cycle without having to add fish?

    3. Would I be able to house Crystal and Amano shrimp with the cardinals or will they be eaten?

    4. Are there any dry ferts I should add to the tank under the substratre?

    5. Will Mountain Minnows eat Crystal and Amano shrimp (Thinking of putting some in my other tank once I redo it with live plants and better equipment)?


    I hope that I can get some answers for these questions as I want to have a really nice tank and make a good environment for the fish I get. Have a wonderful day everyone and I hope to hear back soon!
    - Liam
    - Liam Goss
    My Etsy Site

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    No where near as cool as Mac
    Posts
    14,708

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

    Default


    5 Not allowed!
    1. Will the Hydor Canister Filter - 250 provide enough flow in the tank or should I invest in 240 GPH Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pump?
    I have a 20L with an AquaClear 50 on it and also have the 240GPH Hydor Koralia pump on my tank and it help with the film that I was getting before I got the pump. My fish (espi rasbora and celestial pearl danios) also like the additional current and it helps with any dead spots in the tank. I also have a healthy population of blue pearl shrimp and they have no issues with the pump either.

    2. Will the ADA Amazonia soil start the cycle without having to add fish?
    The soil will not cycle your tank. You can either cycle with fish which can take a while, or do a fishless cycle with pure ammonia (which is what I did) and that is much faster if you do it the way its described in the "fishless cycle" sticky on the beginners section.

    3. Would I be able to house Crystal and Amano shrimp with the cardinals or will they be eaten?

    The cardinals should be okay with good sized amanos, the crystals may be another story as I have heard of neons hunting smaller shrimp down and pecking them to death, so I am unsure with them. Usualy if it fits in the fish's mouth its dinner (or breakfast, snack, lunch or dessert)

    4. Are there any dry ferts I should add to the tank under the substratre?
    Seachem fertilizer tablets, follow the directions, they need to be replaced within 3-6 months.

    5. Will Mountain Minnows eat Crystal and Amano shrimp (Thinking of putting some in my other tank once I redo it with live plants and better equipment)?
    Same with the cardinals; the amanos (if they are a decent size as big as adult red cherry shrimp at least) should be ok, not sure about the shrimp and aren't these cold water fish? Don't think they are compatible temperature wise.
    Last edited by Boundava; 12-30-2015 at 08:17 PM.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

    75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks


    DebinWhitmore

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois USA
    Posts
    5,995

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Image - Welcome Wave.gif Liam! Great info given. Start a journal in Aquarium Journals so we can follow your set up.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    8

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    1. Will the Hydor Canister Filter - 250 provide enough flow in the tank or should I invest in 240 GPH Hydor Koralia Nano Aquarium Circulation Pump?
    I have a 20L with an AquaClear 50 on it and also have the 240GPH Hydor Koralia pump on my tank and it help with the film that I was getting before I got the pump. My fish (espi rasbora and celestial pearl danios) also like the additional current and it helps with any dead spots in the tank. I also have a healthy population of blue pearl shrimp and they have no issues with the pump either.

    2. Will the ADA Amazonia soil start the cycle without having to add fish?
    The soil will not cycle your tank. You can either cycle with fish which can take a while, or do a fishless cycle with pure ammonia (which is what I did) and that is much faster if you do it the way its described in the "fishless cycle" sticky on the beginners section.

    3. Would I be able to house Crystal and Amano shrimp with the cardinals or will they be eaten?

    The cardinals should be okay with good sized amanos, the crystals may be another story as I have heard of neons hunting smaller shrimp down and pecking them to death, so I am unsure with them. Usualy if it fits in the fish's mouth its dinner (or breakfast, snack, lunch or dessert)

    4. Are there any dry ferts I should add to the tank under the substratre?
    Seachem fertilizer tablets, follow the directions, they need to be replaced within 3-6 months.

    5. Will Mountain Minnows eat Crystal and Amano shrimp (Thinking of putting some in my other tank once I redo it with live plants and better equipment)?
    Same with the cardinals; the amanos (if they are a decent size as big as adult red cherry shrimp at least) should be ok, not sure about the shrimp and aren't these cold water fish? Don't think they are compatible temperature wise.
    Thank you so much for the reply! This really helps me out! I have a few follow up questions if I may as you seem to have quite a bit of knowledge on this subject! I am trying to figure out a way to cover the intake of my filter without cutting down on flow rate (to help my shrimp live and not get sucked into the filter). I have seen many people use a foam thing that goes over it but they said it drastically depleted their flow rate into the filter. Any ideas or do you use something as you said you have blue pearl shrimp.

    If I do chose to do crystal shrimp the seller I am getting from said that they come at about 1/2" - 3/4". Is this big enough for the cardinals to house with safely. I have been thinking that I could possibly get neons (even though they aren't as good looking) instead of the cardinals if it means that my shrimp will be safer as I would hate to lose a $10 shrimp to a $3 fish.

    I am not sure what you mean by adding seachem fertilizer tablets. I see a lot of videos of people putting what looks like flour (obviously isn't) and other ferts at the very base of their tank before the substrate layer. Not sure if I need any of these.

    The Mountain Minnows have been fine in 10 gallon at a temp of around 75*F so I think I can add shrimp to that tank as well.
    - Liam Goss
    My Etsy Site

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    8

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Image - Welcome Wave.gif Liam! Great info given. Start a journal in Aquarium Journals so we can follow your set up.
    I may do that once I start setting the tank up! Until I get some answers I need and final plans I won't be able to move on! If you have any input on my questions, I would love to hear it!
    - Liam Goss
    My Etsy Site

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    46,696

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limli View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply! This really helps me out! I have a few follow up questions if I may as you seem to have quite a bit of knowledge on this subject! I am trying to figure out a way to cover the intake of my filter without cutting down on flow rate (to help my shrimp live and not get sucked into the filter). I have seen many people use a foam thing that goes over it but they said it drastically depleted their flow rate into the filter. Any ideas or do you use something as you said you have blue pearl shrimp.

    If I do chose to do crystal shrimp the seller I am getting from said that they come at about 1/2" - 3/4". Is this big enough for the cardinals to house with safely. I have been thinking that I could possibly get neons (even though they aren't as good looking) instead of the cardinals if it means that my shrimp will be safer as I would hate to lose a $10 shrimp to a $3 fish.

    I am not sure what you mean by adding seachem fertilizer tablets. I see a lot of videos of people putting what looks like flour (obviously isn't) and other ferts at the very base of their tank before the substrate layer. Not sure if I need any of these.

    The Mountain Minnows have been fine in 10 gallon at a temp of around 75*F so I think I can add shrimp to that tank as well.
    I have these on all of my filter intakes, they work perfectly...I use the small mesh hole size: http://www.hanaquatics.com/ss-filter-guard/

    Crystal shrimp are not for beginners, they require pristine water conditions and very precise parameters...if I were you, I'd start with Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS), a great beginner shrimp that's easy to care for: http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    414

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    another ram for you! - AmazonJoe   Merry Xmas - fellow Vacuum Lover! - Rue   Happy holidays to you as well! - Faded   for your journal - Hailey   A four leaf clover for good luck for your female GBR - DebinWhitmore   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Agreed with slap about the shrimps, shrimp are easier kept in an established tank as well (I just got amano shrimp in my tank, any earlier and I wouldn't have been ready for them) Crystal shrimp are beautiful but I wouldn't try them as a first. BTW which c02 system did you go with? and are you familiar with injected c02? If not I would suggest buying a drop checker, super cheap and easy to use. http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-drop-checkers.html

    read about them and see what you think. These guys are the business for c02 products.
    55 Gallon Planted W/CO2 Injection. Regulator from Green Leaf Aquariums. Lights from Current USA. Filter Rena Filstar-XP3 Rena Filstar XP-M. Fish? Just ask...

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    8

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I have these on all of my filter intakes, they work perfectly...I use the small mesh hole size: http://www.hanaquatics.com/ss-filter-guard/

    Crystal shrimp are not for beginners, they require pristine water conditions and very precise parameters...if I were you, I'd start with Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS), a great beginner shrimp that's easy to care for: http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html
    Thank you for the suggestions and help! I have been thinking about RCS for a while and been going back and forth between them and crystals, but as lots say RCS are much easier and I would hate to lose a lot of money on shrimp because I didn't know a whole lot about them. Do you think I could at least get grade AA RCS? http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/freshwa...rry-shrimp.php This is where I could get them, as I contacted them about their CRS and they were VERY helpful and had great customer service! And I would at least like my shrimp to look really nice even if it costs me a bit more! question for you as well.... Do you think that Cardinal Tetras would be okay with the shrimp I linked? I don't really want to lose any (Since they are a lot cheaper it wouldn't be a huge deal if 1 died) but I want to try to keep all of them and I have gotten some people who say Cardinals are perfectly fine and some who have questioned it a little and suggested neons. I would much rather get cardinals as I think that they are much prettier and interesting, but if I need to, I will get neons. Thanks a lot for the help!
    - Liam Goss
    My Etsy Site

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    8

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestion! Please read what I said to him as well for the shrimp wise! I totally forget to add a drop checker to my list! On that website would I need the regular one or could I get the nano? Also how big are they cause I don't want them taking up a ton of space in my tank! Thanks!
    - Liam Goss
    My Etsy Site

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    46,696

    Awards Showcase

    Latest gifts & ribbons:

    Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

    Default


    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Limli View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions and help! I have been thinking about RCS for a while and been going back and forth between them and crystals, but as lots say RCS are much easier and I would hate to lose a lot of money on shrimp because I didn't know a whole lot about them. Do you think I could at least get grade AA RCS? http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/freshwa...rry-shrimp.php This is where I could get them, as I contacted them about their CRS and they were VERY helpful and had great customer service! And I would at least like my shrimp to look really nice even if it costs me a bit more! question for you as well.... Do you think that Cardinal Tetras would be okay with the shrimp I linked? I don't really want to lose any (Since they are a lot cheaper it wouldn't be a huge deal if 1 died) but I want to try to keep all of them and I have gotten some people who say Cardinals are perfectly fine and some who have questioned it a little and suggested neons. I would much rather get cardinals as I think that they are much prettier and interesting, but if I need to, I will get neons. Thanks a lot for the help!
    I keep RCS with cards, and even with fish that have bigger mouths than cards, with no issues

    That's an OK price, I've never worried about "grades" of RCS though...check here, you may find a better deal...but if you want to go with Shrimpfarm, it's fine, too...I usually advise starting with 20 RCS, if you can: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti....cgi?fwinverts
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •