· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Carbon is really only for odor reduction. But a good tank with bacteria should smell earthy not foul..
    So in that case carbon really just takes up room were you could stick biomedia in.

But like slap said keep it around in case. It soaks up organic chemicals so you might need it down to the road one day. Or you might need it if your water color ever changes due to tannis.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 12-27-2015 at 01:25 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   we never stop learning in this hobby - SeaLady   Hang in there, treasure awaits in the end - Jwfish13   Good luck with the interview! - Slaphppy7   Because chocolate always makes things better - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Carbon is really only for odor reduction. But a good tank with bacteria should smell earthy not foul..
    So in that case carbon really just takes up room were you could stick biomedia in.

But like slap said keep it around in case. It soaks up organic chemicals so you might need it down to the road one day. Or you might need it if your water color ever changes due to tannis.
    However, keep in mind, that tannins are often seen as a good thing. Just people prefer the "sparkling clear" look to their tank; which fish rarely if ever have in their natural environment. :P

I personally throw mine away too after being advised by several on this forum that they're essentially useless, except for collecting bacteria you end up discarding in the process of replacing them. They can also soak up valuable nutrients and medicines.

An established tank, as Joe said in the quoted, shouldn't smell bad anyway and anything you might want removed(like lingering medicines after a dosage period) can be done so through large water changes.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Squid! - AmazonJoe   I see you are a fan of mollusks too. Have an octopus. - Anders247   

0 Not allowed!
    carbon really just takes up room were you could stick biomedia in..

so, what would be a good media to put in there instead? and does it still go in the middle? or is it just for more of the ceramic stuff?
    Squid

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   we never stop learning in this hobby - SeaLady   Hang in there, treasure awaits in the end - Jwfish13   Good luck with the interview! - Slaphppy7   Because chocolate always makes things better - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUiDSaGiRL420 View Post
    so, what would be a good media to put in there instead? and does it still go in the middle? or is it just for more of the ceramic stuff?
    You can just load it up with more ceramics for your bacteria to grow on. Plus some of the extra down the road can be transferred to "seed" a new tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Yea stick more ceramics in there to increase your biocapacity
    I'm using some biomax fluval at the moment. But I use canister filters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitterfly View Post
    However, keep in mind, that tannins are often seen as a good thing. Just people prefer the "sparkling clear" look to their tank; which fish rarely if ever have in their natural environment. :P
    Yep exactly why I keep my tannis. And actually I filter with peat granules to increase the tannis and softness of the water aswell as add humic acid for plant health
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 12-27-2015 at 01:31 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yea stick more ceramics in there to increase your biocapacity
    I'm using some biomax fluval at the moment. But I use canister filters.

Yep exactly why I keep my tannis. And actually I filter with peat granules to increase the tannis and softness of the water aswell as add humic acid for plant health
    I'm reviewing adding some peat to my filters as well. I'm just afraid of WCs after the fact.

Currently I have a boatload of the IALs in there and they're making the water nice n' dark. So dark I'm considering getting another 24/7 fixture. Worried my light penetration is suffering from it. Plus I fertilize and have a lot of plants so more light wouldn't hurt anyway I suppose.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Squid! - AmazonJoe   I see you are a fan of mollusks too. Have an octopus. - Anders247   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitterfly View Post
    that makes me feel better LOL because i felt like people were going to tease me for tannins in my water. i have some drift wood that i soaked for over a week changing the water often and letting it sit in a bucket with near boiling water filling it. then leaving it. lol. put it in the tank after the bucket water stayed clear... and now my water has tannins. to me its awesome. looks like a chunk of lake in my room. i dig it! but i thought id be given a hard time about it. hahaha. it wont hurt fish though? correct? i mean... they live in that naturally... ? thanks guys. this place is awesome.
    Squid

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm getting IAL's aswell to add to the look and natural feel of the tank
    I highly recommend 'AlphaProBreeders.com' for them. All of mine were like 6"+ and it was a handful, plus an additional two for free.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    that makes me feel better LOL because i felt like people were going to tease me for tannins in my water. i have some drift wood that i soaked for over a week changing the water often and letting it sit in a bucket with near boiling water filling it. then leaving it. lol. put it in the tank after the bucket water stayed clear... and now my water has tannins. to me its awesome. looks like a chunk of lake in my room. i dig it! but i thought id be given a hard time about it. hahaha. it wont hurt fish though? correct? i mean... they live in that naturally... ? thanks guys. this place is awesome.
    Tannins are perfectly natural and won't hurt your fish, especially if they're from darker waters like most South American and Asian fish which many of us keep in great numbers.

Chances are, it'll help reduce stress that an otherwise bright and clear tank could cause.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast