· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Squid! - AmazonJoe   I see you are a fan of mollusks too. Have an octopus. - Anders247   

Default hood/light for 29gallon planted tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I have a 29 gallon kit that comes with a lid with the silly LED strips. Its about .5 -1 watt per gallon... L O L....
    sooo... I have found several different tops that are either the lid/light together or a glasstop with fixture on top. I am trying to save money. and the best i have found is the Aqueon 30inch? i believe? But i think it has ONE bulb. is that enough? what bulb is sufficient alone? any? or whats a better set up?
    I like having a lot of plants.

Thanks!!!
    Squid

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    whats wrong with the LEDs it comes with?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Squid! - AmazonJoe   I see you are a fan of mollusks too. Have an octopus. - Anders247   

0 Not allowed!
    not enough watts per gallon for the kind of plants i like. its pretty weak in that aspect. good for viewing. sure. I dont know much about the lighting i general and LEDs have been hard to understand whats adequate. its just a cheap kit from walmart and the lid with the lights you slip into place. not a nice LED fixture. (which i still dont know whats good enough, but they are pricy as well arent they)
    Last edited by SQUiDSaGiRL420; 12-26-2015 at 04:40 AM.
    Squid

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    what LEDs fixture would be adequate for a 29 gallon heavily planted tank. with low to high light plants. I just dont know much about LEDs and no one could help me with them on my old forum.
    Squid

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    which plants do you like viewing?

its probably true that without the addition of co2 or religious excel the "high" light on a more shallow tank, like a 29gal, would grow a lot more algae. its probably true that if you used the LEDs you have now, added a nice co2 system on an electric solenoid that you could time, you'd have great results with those plants you like viewing.

you'd be surprised on what high light is. takashi amano would recommend using a 150watt metal halide with a 6.5K bulb complimented with two 36watt power compact bulbs... this is what he uses to create those nature tanks. LEDs tend to shade certain areas and you're unable to carpet the entire tank or part of the aquascape. your looking at around $90 for a metal halide bulb, to be replaced in a year, has a huge ballast, noisy fan, and gets extremely hot.

LED is the technology to buy but you need more LED than metal halide.

i seriously think you should try the lights you have now and invest in other areas of the tank plants would benefit from before light. i don't think you need 100% light coverage throughout every inch of the glass

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by iReef View Post

its probably true that without the addition of co2 or religious excel the "high" light on a more shallow tank, like a 29gal
    Shallow?...a 29G is 18" high, taller than a 40B or 40 long

I'd go with a plain glass lid, and one of these, the 24-36": http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Sa...satellite+plus

It's what i use on my 29G, and plants grow just fine
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Ok awesome! so that one strip will be enough? I saw that, and i was worried Id need two. 6500k is good for 29 still? I have one t5 6500 on my 20gal cube. and the plants do great! it took some time to figure out what worked in that tank. but i stopped using excel and the light alone has done pretty dang well... i was told in my old forum that i dont need it. i dont recall why. but i have no co2, and do not add excel. ever anymore. though i did change out the substrate to the floramax. which my 29gal has too.

i like a mix of plants. light wise. my favorites in the 20 are a crinum calamistratum. and the lace plant. i think the crinium is low light. but i like various baby tears, and bunched plants. and i CANNOT keep myriophyllum alive in any tank :(
    Squid

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, that one fixture should be just fine for you.

Finding the right glass lid can be a challenge, though, certain ones fit the Aqueon, and others fit the Marineland....our member SueD is the person who always helps me figure out which one

Here's a pic of my 29G with the Current LED I linked for you

IMG_2812.jpg

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Shallow?...a 29G is 18" high, taller than a 40B or 40 long

I'd go with a plain glass lid, and one of these, the 24-36": http://www.amazon.com/Current-USA-Sa...satellite+plus

It's what i use on my 29G, and plants grow just fine
    i'd have to say most of the reef tanks i am around tend to be well beyond 2ft in depth and typically even more so a 29gallon is on the shallow side of things for me. I'm also consider most stem plants will exceed 2ft and many other plants can grow pretty tall. while it is a common size, it can still be shallow for it's intentions. its not hard to get light down to the bottom of 18inches. getting light to the bottom of tanks beyond that begins to require more punch of light. the plants typically even grow closer to the light, and those leafs, which absorb the light, are in a more shallow depth as well.
    Last edited by iReef; 12-26-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by iReef View Post
    i'd have to say most of the reef tanks i am around tend to be well beyond 2ft in depth and typically even more so a 29gallon is on the shallow side of things for me. I'm also consider most stem plants will exceed 2ft and many other plants can grow pretty tall. while it is a common size, it can still be shallow for it's intentions.
    Understood, thanks for the clarification...