· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Nano Fish

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For caring for your fish, I hope the BP makes it. - steeler1   Sorry for your loss - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   

Default Nano Fish

0 Not allowed!
    I have finally got around to my tank and there will be some pretty impressive changes with the plants and fish. To start off with my LFS has been a really big help so far when it comes to what kind of plants I am getting since they have such a large variety of aquatic plants. What I've really came here for is help stocking my 20 gallon tank with nano/micro fish. I have a clue on what fish I want to keep but I'm not sure if i'm overstocking the tank. The fish that I want are:

10 - celestial pearl danio (these are a must have)

6 to 8 - Corydoras hasbrosus

10 - ember tetras

1 to 3 pitbull plecos (or otos or maybe even a bristle nose)

Yes the tank will be heavily planted and have driftwood.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   Hope you are well man - robflanker   Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   Happy Birthday - mommy1   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Jaster   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Jaster   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to say yes. You're look at about 30 fish in a 20g tank that is going to have a lot of room taken up by gravel, plants, and wood. So in reality you may only have 15ish gallons of water to play with. So even by going the inch of fish per gallon rule of thumb (not the best rule btw.. so use that loosely) you're stocking is almost double what your tank can do.

So lets look at some options. The pearls are a must so keep those but kick it back to 6-8. The Embers I would also kick back to no more than 6. I would make a choice between the plecos and the corys. both are bottom feeders so both will keep the bottom clean. IMO a bristle nose pleco would be the best bet. I have them in every tank I have, They stay pretty small as far as plecos go (max about 5-6") and do an awesome job cleaning. For these guys I would say one. You'd be amazed what 1 can do in a tank. I have 3 in my 90 and 80g tanks and 2 in my 55's and I never clean glass. they are also poop machines... good for your plants. The other plecos you mentioned if memory serves can get pretty large for a 20g tank. so picture 3 6-8" plecos in your tank when they grow up some. At that size where can they really go?

When you think about stocking, you can really stuff it as much as you want but you must keep up on the tank to keep the water fresh and clean. You really want to do a 50%+ daily? The other side of that is how will effect the fish? That kind of crowd can stress them out. You can stuff a 100 people in your bathroom. They will fit. But after an hour you will be stressed out, (gook luck peeing in that crowd) angry and fighting for wiggle room, and you will seriously want a shower the second your free. Anyone whos ever been on a NY subway during rush will know what I mean. lol So just because they can doesn't mean you should.

Hope that helps with your choices! You could also always get a bigger tank! or two... lol
    Angel breeder wanna-be

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For caring for your fish, I hope the BP makes it. - steeler1   Sorry for your loss - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    a long finned albino bristle nose pleco would be a beautiful center piece for the tank. Since i'm not going with cories anymore could kuhli loaches or cherry shrimp go in the tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Is this a 20g high or long?? Personally, I would recommend against the pleco in this size tank. I've posted below a pic of my brown BNP, and I had an albino that was just as large in another tank. If you want to go with nano fish, I'd stick with the otos and one of the dwarf cories - either habrosus, hastatus, or pygmaeus. Another nano cat fish I have just obtained is Aspidoras pauciradiatus. I've only had these for a few days, so I don't have long experience with them. But they are also small and very cute.

In a 20 long, I think you would be OK with 10 CPD's, 10 embers, 3-4 otos, and about 8 of the cories. In my experience, the CPD's will be shy and I haven't had embers (although I want some) so I don't know what their behavior is. Another nano fish to consider is the dwarf pencilfish (Nannostomus marginatus), chili rasboras, or boraras urophthalmoides.

Here's my big BNP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It's a 20 gallon high

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

They didn't have a Gudgeon. Have a Sea Cow - Compass   Have a cory for your future tank! - steeler58   Have another Cory! - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep :) - steeler58   everyone needs one of them - cm12setx   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
    It's a 20 gallon high
    Not necessarily a bad thing. Since youre going with a school of top, mid, and bottom feeders, this works well.

My first reccomendation is having at least a 30 gallon filter because you want a somewhat high stock. ESPECIALLY if you are going to put in a BN pleco.
    If you do choose to have a pleco, you really shouldn't have any other bottom feeders in a tank this size. If you dont, you could do 3 otos and 4-5 kuhlis or 3 otos and a group of cherry shrimp.

I'd say this is an appropriate stocking if you have a 30 gallon filter:
    -10 Celestial Pearl Danios
    -12-14 Ember tetras
    -Your choice of bottom feeders

Ember tetras dont even get an inch big, and their bioload is incredibly low. CPDs are very small too.
    Anyways, have fun with the tank and dont let the stocking stress you out too much