· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your luck has to get better... - Slaphppy7   positive wishes for your troubled tank! - SeaLady   Flowers to sooth you - lots of stress lately. - DebinWhitmore   You are the cycling queen - Silbar   your right ;-) - AmazonJoe   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - cajunqn81   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaLady View Post
    Tank looks nice so far, but just a heads up....the sand and Eco-Complete will end up mixing. I did similar in my 10ga, and over time they kind of sift together. Unless you have some kind of solid barriers/"fence", that will keep them seperate.

I love all that wood!
    Speaking off, what do you recommend for a 'fence'...?

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday my friend. - Taurus   Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter1804 View Post
    To answer your questions

Yes I plan to add a lot more plants, the anubias and java fern were pulled from my other tanks. I will have to order more soon.

And I am using bottled bacteria because Im a believer in the stuff I used Seachems Stability to cycle my 15 gallon column tank in just 4 days with little to no stress on the fish I noticed. I do daily testing and water changes if necessary and I have read nothing but great things about the dr tims one and only. Plus the number one reason is Im very impatience and don't like the look of an empty tank.
    I've never cycled a tank with it but I do like the product; I use it after water changes, filter cleanings and when adding new fish.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Almost done with cycle! - BluewaterBoof   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   congrats on your new plants - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunqn81 View Post
    Speaking off, what do you recommend for a 'fence'...?
    I've never done a dual substrate before but in researching I have found that people generally use thin, flat rock or these substrate supports that are made by ADA, it basically a plastic material safe for aquariums and you cut to fit your particular needs. In my case I am not to worried about them mixing a little on the edges I think it will give it a more natural look which is what Im going for.
    20 Gallon
    15 Gallon column planted
    5 Gallon Planted
    55 Gallon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your luck has to get better... - Slaphppy7   positive wishes for your troubled tank! - SeaLady   Flowers to sooth you - lots of stress lately. - DebinWhitmore   You are the cycling queen - Silbar   your right ;-) - AmazonJoe   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - cajunqn81   

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Almost done with cycle! - BluewaterBoof   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   congrats on your new plants - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    UPDATE

IMG_2305.JPG

From Right to left pH Ammonia Nitrites Nitrates Idk why the picture is flipped

This is approx. 28 hours after adding 6 harlequin rasboras and the Dr. Tim's One and Only. just documenting results so you guys can follow along.
    Last edited by firefighter1804; 12-28-2015 at 05:45 AM.
    20 Gallon
    15 Gallon column planted
    5 Gallon Planted
    55 Gallon

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    UPDATE DAY 2

IMG_2306.JPG

doesn't look much different
    20 Gallon
    15 Gallon column planted
    5 Gallon Planted
    55 Gallon

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58   Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Looking good! I like the dual substrate a lot, looks really nice.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

another ram for you! - AmazonJoe   Merry Xmas - fellow Vacuum Lover! - Rue   Happy holidays to you as well! - Faded   for your journal - Hailey   A four leaf clover for good luck for your female GBR - DebinWhitmore   

1 Not allowed!
    Looks like your water parameters are pretty dang good. You could use slate which is available at most local fish stores is a divider between the two substrates. If you have to break it to make it shorter it's a fairly easy rock to crack in half and usually sold in mostly straight pieces for making ornamental caves and hutches for the fish. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Altima05r; 12-29-2015 at 03:03 PM.
    55 Gallon Planted W/CO2 Injection. Regulator from Green Leaf Aquariums. Lights from Current USA. Filter Rena Filstar-XP3 Rena Filstar XP-M. Fish? Just ask...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    UPDATE DAY 3

IMG_2312.JPG

So not much to report still looks the same. Im thinking with the beneficial bacteria in the eco complete and the Dr. tim's I should start seeing Nitrates any time now. I wish there was an easier way to do the testing cause I'm horrible at the colors I feel like half the time Im guessing.
    20 Gallon
    15 Gallon column planted
    5 Gallon Planted
    55 Gallon

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!

Update

I decided to add a couple more tank mates. so I went and picked up these guys along with a few more rasboras.

1937016_10153158066492163_5144719733932765547_n.jpg
    1170910_10153158066507163_9001004568049120257_n.jpg

They are absolutely beautiful and full of character. I know what you all are thinking "its to soon, you're not fully cycled" well after testing every day for a week I have never seen any ammonia, nitrites and tonight I think I see a hint of nitrates. So I believe this tank is good and they have been in there for over 24 hours now and they look great, they are swimming around, they ate almost instantly and all in all, all the fish look great. I will be monitoring the tank closely like I do with all my tanks but Im so glad i got these guys.

IMG_2325.JPG

this is from tonight to my eye everything looks good. Anyways I will keep you all up to date and I think Im going to add a couple clown loaches to the stocking list I LOVE them but they will be added a ways down the road

KEEP YOUR SLEEVES Wet IN 2016!!!
    20 Gallon
    15 Gallon column planted
    5 Gallon Planted
    55 Gallon