· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   

Default Cloudy water in my betta tank??

0 Not allowed!
    I've got a 10 gallon tank with one male betta in it. The tank has been running for about 4 weeks now. The water started off crystal clear for about 5 days of course. Now it has a persistent white cloudiness to it. I was doing a 10% water change every day for the first two weeks (with conditioner and bioclear) now I'm doing it once a week while vacuuming the gravel a bit. It seems to get worse when I do it so that's why I cut it back. Originally I had a small air pump in there but have since taken it out because I couldn't get the air stone to stay in its tubing. I just today received my API master test kit in the mail. PH is high at 8.2 but I heard its more dangerous to the fish to try to change it then just keep it stable. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all come out as 0ppm. I took out some water in a white dish to see if I could spot maybe an algae bloom but nothing. So frustrated!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For being fish-fan friendly! ;) - Rue   Beer mug for ya - Jaster   No Message - Gar   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Thanks for the reputation - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    has your fish been in there since you set up your tank?
    Sounds like it's trying cycle stop cleaning your gravel.
    Also read this.
    what type of filter are you using?
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    sounds like a bacterial bloom should clear up in a few weeks or so.

I definitely recommend reading up on the link Gar provided. It sounds like you never fully cycled your tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Yes unfortunately I did put the fish in right away :( I'm kind of a newb. I know that was a big mistake now. I just wanted to get him out of that tiny starter tank so bad. Sounds like you might be right and it never cycled fully. I'll start testing daily and doing water changes without vacuuming the gravel.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also I'm using the Marina slim 15 filter. Its a HOB filter (if HOB means hangs over bowl?, no idea if that's right lol).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Hang on back. Its all good we were all noobs at one point and time..

You will be alright, just monitor and do WC's (water changes) as needed to level off toxic levels of ammonia nitrite and nitrate. what are you using for tests?

Don't water change unless levels are high..

If your not sure just post your test results everyone here is more then happy to help!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

4 Not allowed!
    HOB = "hang on back", though I guess they could hang on a side, too

Read and re-read the cycling w/fish sticky, follow the instructions precisely, test daily and do your WC's as needed with the Prime, which may have to be done daily for a while

Your cloudiness is probably as mentioned above a bacterial bloom, which is a GOOD thing, and will rectify itself in time.

Keep up with the questions, too, you'll get the help you need.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 12-16-2015 at 12:43 AM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Hang on back. Its all good we were all noobs at one point and time..

You will be alright, just monitor and do WC's (water changes) as needed to level off toxic levels of ammonia nitrite and nitrate. what are you using for tests?

Don't water change unless levels are high..

If your not sure just post your test results everyone here is more then happy to help!
    I'm using the API master feshwater test kit. Just got it in the mail today.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I did :) Felt like a scientist 100%. Like I said in OP, the PH is high at 8.2 and NI/NA and ammonia are all zero.