· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

Default Jenn's Aquarium Oasis

7 Not allowed!
    Thought Id start a new journal as my old "fish room" journal from over a year ago is dead...and very much inaccurate to current standings. At any rate this will be where I post updates on all tanks...no need to keep up 9 journals and who can believe in my "downsizing of life and aquariums" I ended up with 9 aquariums. Sure they are each smaller in scale than previous adventures but seriously 9?!? Oh well...the mania continues.

I will start with my 2nd 75G which has sat dry for a few weeks. I will be getting it off the ground and running by the end of the weekend; for 2 reasons...1) I have almost everything I need for it now and 2) Ive got to get my arse in high gear as I have fish coming for it next week. "Sally" my lovely A.crassipinnis will be donating her used filter cartridges for this. I DONT cycle tanks, I use old media and monitor levels daily doing WCs to maintain a consistent level of no ammonia or nitrites. I have zero patience for "fishless cycling" and with 9 tanks going I dont feel it is necessary.

I picked up a 50lb bag of 20/40lb Black Diamond Blasting Sand....and have maybe 20lbs or so from another project; this should be sufficient. I dont want too thick of a sand bed anyway as at this point Im not planning heavily rooted plants but this of course could change.

Filtration will be a Penguin 350 and a Rena XPL. Heater is a Jager 250watt. Lighting is 1x32watt T8 and 2x15watt T8s....so very low lighting. I have a mix of Seriyu stone and some sort of grey rock I found at a local lake. I have used it in past projects and it did raise the hardness slightly but nothing which was really bad and well this is a CA cichlid tank it will be fine. The main scape will be large manzanita branches. Given this tank will house 1 Synspilum; I didnt want any thin twigs so I went with thicker heavier duty versions. The wood has not came in yet; however here are seller photos of said wood:

3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thank you for the Endlers!!! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We miss you, Deb. - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    I'll be following, sounds like a fun build. That wood is lovely and thanks for providing some scale to it. It's so nice and smooth and yet complex at the same time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I am so excited to watch -- and learn from -- you! Thanks for starting a journal that will reflect your current "downsized" (hahahaha!!! oh that one is funny. 9 tanks...) fish room.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

4 Not allowed!
    When I moved 3 years ago I went from having a 150G, 100G, 75G, 50G, 20G, and a pair of 10s. I vowed to downsize in my new/current home and went tankless for about 6 months. I then have slowly added them to the current standings of the 9 in my signature. In my defense one 20G is at work...but the other 8 are in my home. The 2 75s, 50G and 1 20G occupy my home office/fish room. The 56G and 55G are in the living room, a 29G is in my spare bedroom/cat room, and the final 50G is in our bedroom. So as you see downsizing REALLY doesnt work. A friend who we got the 55G from is downsizing after purchasing a 180G; however she has opted to keep her 75G, 46G, and 29G just incase. Umm theyll be running in 6 months I guarantee!

I look forward to the project, I purchased a vieja a few weeks ago and it has a gill deformity which I am not sure I want to devote 1 tank to it given it will never fit the look which I wanted. Ive waited quite some time to own another synspilum and I dont want the fish to have a deformity. Hence I think that I will give it to my mom and I have purchased a new 5" Syn online which is supposedly a "show quality" F1 fish; we shall see. Now I am not sure if I will keep anything with the Syn; if I do it may only be a nicer L#. Anyone have any suggestions on a L# which stays small enough to live in a 75G but can hang with a potentially 14" fish?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    How many hours a week would you estimate you'll be spending on routine fish care and tank maintenance? That's pretty much my limiting factor in number of tanks I have running.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Typically 2.5-3hrs per week on just WCs/glass cleaning. Sometimes a bit more if I have to do any filters or have any specific projects/overhauls on a tank. I however tend to leave my filters alone...canisters get cleaned when a visible decrease in flow happens or every 3-4 months. HOBs get cleaned when they start spilling back in the tank from the intake.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.gunpowderaquatics.net/plecos-and-ancistrus/

They have a nice variety.

Thanks steel for hooking me up with the site, there right in my back yard here in FL.

This little 5" is on sale actually

Butterfly Pleco - Dekeyseria sp. L052

http://www.gunpowderaquatics.net/wee...seria-sp-l052/
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 12-12-2015 at 10:15 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    I however tend to leave my filters alone...canisters get cleaned when a visible decrease in flow happens or every 3-4 months. HOBs get cleaned when they start spilling back in the tank from the intake.
    Do you use sponges in these filters?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   we never stop learning in this hobby - SeaLady   Hang in there, treasure awaits in the end - Jwfish13   Good luck with the interview! - Slaphppy7   Because chocolate always makes things better - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Should be a fun read and I really like the wood you've got, some nice pieces.

Subscribed.