· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default My Friend's Horrible

0 Not allowed!
    My friend was talking to me about how he got two turtles from our chemistry teacher, and how he had them in a 100g tank. I was like OK cool, and then he stated taking about how he added goldfish. I started telling him about how goldfish and turtles do NOT mix, but he said that after they ate 4/12 of the fish, they play with the last 8. I started telling him about how they need a filter and he insisted that he knows best because his fish have always lived 2-3 years.
    Basically I'm asking:
    How many things is he doing wrong?
    What exactly do goldfish need in order to be as healthy as possible?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Goldfish, like all other fish need a filter, heater, and a cycled tank. Your friend may have bought the goldfish as feeders for the turtles, it's a common practice. The problem is, many feeder goldfish are not the healthiest fish and could make the turtles sick. Some will argue they aren't nutritional enough for the turtles. If he wants to feed his turtles live food he should raise it himself. Then he knows the fish are healthy, and he can gut load them to make them more nutritional for the turtles.

If he didn't buy them for feeders, then he should get them a separate tank because the turtles are not playing with the fish, but are actually trying to catch and eat them. Eventually they will catch them.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    He could make a setup so they can cohabitate But that takes time setting up enough structures and hiding spots for the goldfish to escape the mouth of the turtle. (Definitely not playing lol) and from hearing that his fish only live 2-3 years. Clearly indicates a lack of "knows what he's doing" there are goldfish in zoo's that live over 20 years. And the end of the day if he wants the advice tell him to join on here.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    I agree, goldfish live for a lot longer than 2-3 years, as do many fish. I would assume he bought the feeder fish which are probably comets which (if they survive) can get well over 12 inches each and need well filtered and oxygenated waters. Turtles are also very dirty and I am unsure how you friend is getting away with having this tank set up with no filtration. Goldfish don't necessarily need a heater as they will manage in temps from 65-72, but I agree with AmazonJoe that in order for the goldfish to survive they will need areas to escape to and hide and not be predated upon. Goldfish also have specific dietary needs too, that definitely vary from and aquatic turtles diet and it will be hard for them to get the nutrition they need because I am sure the turtle will eat any food meant for the fish. Also agree if they want healthy turtles they should be feeding a nutritionally balanced food and feeder fish don't provide that-unless you personally raise and feed a nutritious diet to that feeder fish yourself. Hope they listen to you for both the turtles' and goldfishes sake.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   we never stop learning in this hobby - SeaLady   Hang in there, treasure awaits in the end - Jwfish13   Good luck with the interview! - Slaphppy7   Because chocolate always makes things better - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I agree, goldfish live for a lot longer than 2-3 years, as do many fish. I would assume he bought the feeder fish which are probably comets which (if they survive) can get well over 12 inches each and need well filtered and oxygenated waters. Turtles are also very dirty and I am unsure how you friend is getting away with having this tank set up with no filtration. Goldfish don't necessarily need a heater as they will manage in temps from 65-72, but I agree with AmazonJoe that in order for the goldfish to survive they will need areas to escape to and hide and not be predated upon. Goldfish also have specific dietary needs too, that definitely vary from and aquatic turtles diet and it will be hard for them to get the nutrition they need because I am sure the turtle will eat any food meant for the fish. Also agree if they want healthy turtles they should be feeding a nutritionally balanced food and feeder fish don't provide that-unless you personally raise and feed a nutritious diet to that feeder fish yourself. Hope they listen to you for both the turtles' and goldfishes sake.
    I was honestly shocked to hear that neons can live for 10 years.

Going on peoples' records with them, I figured a couple at best.

That said, yeah, I've read from many sources that goldfish can be some of the longest lived fish in the aquarium if properly taken care of. Two to three years is painfully short and sad really.

...and don't worry OP, we all have that "friend". Trust me, the other people here know what I am talking about. Mine at least began to listen to me and takes me very seriously now. I'm no expert but I've learned a LOT in a very short span of time in a hobby I otherwise knew nothing about. Takes an open mind and a willingness to take losses and learn from those losses. Even better, to build upon the losses of others and learn from their experiences.
    Last edited by Kitterfly; 12-04-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For posting a pic of your tank - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    You should see the tank my friends brother had. He had 5 6 inch goldish, 2 bullhead catfish (wild caught), and an 8 inch pleco in a 10 gallon. You couldn't even see the fish through the dirty water.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Poor fish.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For posting a pic of your tank - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    We took the fish back to the store lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

2 Not allowed!
    People who think they know everything usually learn nothing. Once they realize they don't know everything, then they can begin to learn. At least this guy has his turtles and fish in a 100 gallon tank -- reasonably large enough. That's about the ONLY thing he's doing right. I too would suggest he sign up here and do some reading.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.