· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default An EB ram's fin rot story

0 Not allowed!
    First of all, I don't know exactly where to post this thread, since I am probably in need of some serious, immediate help (with fish meds ;)

But, I also want this thread to help others, and you can help me get through this.

Ok, my female electric blue ram has rin rot. Blah! I said it! I would welcome any help, and tell her story later.

Right now, she is alone in a 10g bowfront, bare bottom tank (with plants planted in a pot) and with a sponge filter. Her male partner has been removed (we WILL talk about that later).
    Temperature is at 79f. Recently reduced from 80f. Tank was 81-82f during the summer months, it is now almost December, just to give temperature history.

I was doing 50% water changes once (or more often) a week. Just did one last night when I saw the problem. I removed her male partner at the same time (he moved to another tank and is doing fine).

Ammonia, nitrite AND nitrate are always at nil with that bioload and amount of plant. But I was adding a small amount of plant fertilizer, as directed.

I added 10ml of Stress Coat with the 50% w/c and 5ml of Melafix a few hours ago.

I'll get the exact pH later, but I'm going to guess it's around 7.

I don't know what else to say at this point, look at the pics, she looks so bad. I don't know of I should be doing more, or if more is less, especially with such a delicate species......what do you all think? I'm throwing myself out there!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    This is what I came home to last night when I looked in their tank, this literally happened over the course of the day. The picture above was taken today, I think it looks more like fin rot today. Yesterday, it was apparent, he decided to eat her tail. I didn't take the relentless chasing of the male seriously, and it hit me all of a sudden.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So, when I saw what had happened, I did a regular scheduled 50% water change. I removed the male, he's doing great in a 28g with some juvie angelfish. Now, she is alone and can heal, well, that's my plan so far. I reduced the temp to 79f, (not sure if that was a mistake) and removed a pot of plants to give more room between them (just in case she got stuck somewhere). This is her tank now.

Sorry for the sideways pic, idk how to fix that!
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-29-2015 at 05:56 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Melafix is way too weak for fin rot. Stress coat is unnecessary. You are better off applying hydrogen peroxide or iodine directly to the affected area. If you didn't have plants, you could of added 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your input. I can remove the plants if need be. I was trying the Melafix and stress coat and keeping the water quality prestine to start. I was unsure about adding heavier meds considering EB rams are said to be a very delicate color morph of GBRs, and also, I didn't want to change too much too quickly.
    Do you have experience to back up your statement? It makes sense what you are saying, I've just never tried healing a fish the natural way before. Can't say it won't work when I have no experience with it.

I can still do the h202 spot treatment. There was evidence that she had frayed (with whitish) looking fin ends all over, I mean, some white ends on her pectorals, and dorsal fin on day 2 = Many spots to treat with peroxide.

I will try to get an update today. Thanks for your ideas.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Also, I have kanamycin if things become worse. I know the problem is bacterial, not fungal. Can't remember if kanamycin treats fin rot? Don't see why it wouldn't though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Laboratory Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy for Melafix

http://www.exoticpetmedicine.com/art...026-9/abstract

The study revealed that Melafix had no significant bactericidal or inhibitory effect on any of the pathogens tested. This observation suggests that anecdotal benefits of Melafix are not owing to antibacterial activity.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Tx for the heads up and link. The study doesn't say which pathogens were tested though. It also requires further studying. I'll keep a very close eye on her.

Like I said, I'm keeping the water quality prestine, and I only added the Melafix because I made it myself and is so cheap. I added the Stress Coat because of the aloe vera it contains. I believe the actual Melafix product contains aloe as well. Technically, I haven't done anything yet except keeping the water clean, I guess.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-30-2015 at 09:12 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just took a new pic. Day 4 since the accident. I see some regrowth, that's a good sign. I still see some whitish edges although. All that 'dirt' at the corner on the aquarium floor is being cleaned up tonight with a small w/c.

I don't care of this takes a long time to heal, I just don't want her to die.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I am soooo excited right now, I just found out all the plants in that tank tolerate med-to-high salinity levels! So how much should I add?

Can sodium chloride be used with Melafix or should I do a 50% wc again and then add salt slowly?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-30-2015 at 11:50 PM.