· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thumbs up Any tips on breeding neons?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all,
    my first time on this forum.

I have to do a project in an Aquarium for my oceanography class which is due by the end of the school year in june. I have decided with a friend to breed neon tetras as I have experience of breeding live bearing guppies, so I decided a challenge would be fun.

I have a ten gallon tank for the adults currently.
    I have ten gallon breeder tank
    -> this tank is in a dark place where i can create total darkness. I have a sponge filter pump for it which is also carbon activated. I have it heated to 78F and the water is close to 1dH.
    Additionally, I have bought a 15 watt "moonlight" heater bulb, used in terrariums. It is an extremely dim, purpleish light and was wondering if that would be too bright to leave on in the dark place with the aquarium.

I am also currently pre-breeding brine shrimp as food for the adults for the time before they breed to get lots of protein, etc. and for the fry once they are large enough to eat the baby brine shrimp.

Is anyone familiar with brine shrimp and how well they reproduce on their own or how to support the reproduction? I am currently trying the "river monsters" from toys r us which are pretty much equivalent to brine shrimp. Do these also reproduce? As well as aquarium designated brine shrimp?
    Any ideas of what best to feed brine shrimp?
    If you can contribute anything to this feed, I appreciate it, as I need all the input I can get.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday my friend. - Taurus   Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I've kept them on and off for 40+ years and never had them spawn :(

I've read they usually spawn in the early morning hours.

Some info you may already have: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...QyEiG1jKiRl_IA
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday my friend. - Taurus   Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    BTW, welcome to the forum ;-)
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need another ram. - Slaphppy7   Congrats for Maggie! - Rue   Indeed, it is now time for a beer - RiversGirl   congrats on your baby corys - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Just buy brine shrimp eggs. They are cheap.
    http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product/...UH8RoCNETw_wcB