· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default I keep getting bubbles in my silicone

0 Not allowed!
    So I've decided to build my own tank. I currently have a 2ft and wanted to go up to a 3ft but none of the pet stores nearby had any so I bought the glass myself - this way I could also make it slightly bigger (90x40x40cm) then their ones (90x32x32cm)

I followed the method given in the following video:
    https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rc...08194040,d.ZWU

I've now built it three times, but each time there are lots of bubble in all of the seams, I'll add the pictures below.
    The only thing is that I don't have space to fit all of the glass at once so I had to put the base on a piece of wood, attach the first two pieces (the front and left), then carefully turn it around before attaching the other two pieces.
    I'm sure it's best not to move it but could this small bit if movement really cause so many bubbles in the seams?
    I cleaned the glass as thoroughly as I could using methylated spirits. I found on the internet that someone suggested it so on my third attempt after using meths I also wiped the glass down with a damp paper towel, then dried it with another dry piece.
    On the third attempt I used wooden jigs I had made to clamp the corners together to align them and keep them from moving but that obviously didn't help.
    I'm also using the Bostik aquarium silicone you find in any hardware store (I'm in South Africa, I'm not sure what brands you get elsewhere).

What could I be doing wrong?
    The only thing I can think of is to somehow find I place big enough so that I don't have to move the aquarium while building it, and find a different brand of silicone, maybe something of a higher quality.

The pictures aren't great but you can clearly see the bubbles running along most of the seam.
    Mostly it's lots of tiny bubbles but in one or two areas there were some clusters of larger ones.

Also, some of the inner joints are a little rough because I waited too long to pull of the masking tape, but that's another issue.

05-20-Nov-2015-Build-#3-failure-03.jpg 05-20-Nov-2015-Build-#3-failure-04.jpg 05-20-Nov-2015-Build-#3-failure-06.jpg 05-20-Nov-2015-Build-#3-failure-07.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Ahhh ya got me! - Trillianne   Restocking your pond - Trillianne   Rep Message:  Thanks for the giggle!  Am still snickering. - Rhaethe   A little less toxic! Lol - Kayfish   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Those bubbles in the last picture are most likely from shifting it around. Find a place where you can build it without moving it, or maybe try and rig up some clamping system to keep it in place. Carefully placed ratchet straps or a few strips of wood with regular clamps might work?
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrup View Post
    Those bubbles in the last picture are most likely from shifting it around. Find a place where you can build it without moving it, or maybe try and rig up some clamping system to keep it in place. Carefully placed ratchet straps or a few strips of wood with regular clamps might work?
    Thanks, I think I will have to find a way to not move it while I build it.