· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Almost done with cycle! - BluewaterBoof   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   congrats on your new plants - Silbar   

Question Thoughts on fish for a 15 gallon column aquarium??

0 Not allowed!
    So I found a 15 gallon column tank in the local dumpster and rescued it brought it home cleaned it up and made sure it didn't leak. So my question is what do you guys think would be a good fish to keep in a column tank? I have tetras, guppies and gouramis, in other tanks I want something different. I WANT an angelfish BAD but they like long tanks right? Plus I know its to small. What about cichilds? IDK

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

4 Not allowed!
    It's tough when the volume of the tank is in its height rather than its length. I would look into some of the nano fish like chili rasboras, ember tetras, Boraras maculatus. Maybe one of the dwarf cories - cory habrosus, hastatus or pygmaeus.

But definitely not large enough for an angelfish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Almost done with cycle! - BluewaterBoof   Congrats on the cycle! - Slaphppy7   congrats on your new plants - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    OK thanks for the suggestions SueD. I am really liking the chili rasboras but I don't know where I would get them where I live we only have "big box stores" that I know of.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

4 Not allowed!
    Many people here (myself included) bit our fish from The Wet Spot, an online store. Their prices are very good, and their fish are excellent quality.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    http://msjinkzd.com/stocklist/

This person (Rachel O'Leary) often has them also, which is where I got mine. She appears to be out of them at the moment, but I had great service from her and have bought from her a few times. The ember tetra is another good option for you, which she does have.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks I'll defiantly check them out

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So...... I'm still having trouble deciding on a fish for my 15 gallon column. It looks like Im going to have to do with fish from a "big box store" as it's the easiest way for me to obtain fish. I was thinking of a guppy aquarium.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter1804 View Post
    So...... I'm still having trouble deciding on a fish for my 15 gallon column. It looks like Im going to have to do with fish from a "big box store" as it's the easiest way for me to obtain fish. I was thinking of a guppy aquarium.
    There are lots of colorful guppies available which would make for a nice tank. My suggestion would be to stick with males only or you will need a larger and larger tank, or multiple tanks if you decide to try to separate males and females once you've had enough of their breeding - been there and it's next to impossible to keep up with it. Males are more colorful, anyway.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have four aquariums available if needed but like you said i'll probably stick with males maybe a female or two. Anyone know of a good place to buy plants? is there a forum on here to ask around?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter1804 View Post
    I have four aquariums available if needed but like you said i'll probably stick with males maybe a female or two.
    Please reconsider doing that to 'a female or two' as they would very likely be harassed to their deaths in a tank filled with males. Stock all males and this -- as well as much of the male fighting -- is resolved. Something to consider.