· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thank you for the Endlers!!! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We miss you, Deb. - WhistlingBadger   

Default Beginnings of a die off?

0 Not allowed!
    Water parameters taken today before a WC
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    Nitrites 0 ppm
    Nitrates 2 ppm
    Fully cycled tank, has been for 2 months approx.

Weekly WC, filter cleaning, rinsing filter media in outgoing tank water. Water temp is fairly consistent at 78 F. pH 7.4 but have not tested recently. Tap pH is 8.4 fresh from the tap and 7.4 after 24 hours. Feed 1 x per day, 1 fast day per week. Good quality flake, frozen bloodworms (no more than 1 x week), fish granuels, occasionaly brine shrimp.

Stocking 18 cardinals, it was 20 last night. Lost one overnight and one right after WC. 1 Pearl gourami these fish have been in the tank since it was cycled. Added 11 harlequin rasboras about 3-4 weeks after the initial stocking. Added 7 more harleys and 2 cardinals (original 18) 1 week ago.

The dead cardinals had pretty good coloration and no visible signs of disease or wounds. Tonight there is one harley who is struggling, swimming in place, has isolated himself from the others, hovering near the bottom of the tank. The harley has lost a lot of his coloration and is pale. This is not ich and I'm not sure what flukes are but I don't see anything visible on the fish. One of the new harleys looks pregnant and they are not live bearers, it has looked this way since day one, sometimes much more bloated than other days.

I'd treat them if I knew what to treat them for. Don't have a QT or hospital tank. Any ideas?

Photos below of the pale harey, colorful harleys and the big fat one.

Pale guy
    image.jpg

Colorful fish
    image.jpg

Big boy
    image.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Remind us of tank size and amount of water you change weekly....

8.4 ph tap to 7.4 tank has me concerned a bit

Test the tank ph right now, and again at this time tomorrow
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thank you for the Endlers!!! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We miss you, Deb. - WhistlingBadger   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Remind us of tank size and amount of water you change weekly....

8.4 ph tap to 7.4 tank has me concerned a bit

Test the tank ph right now, and again at this time

tomorrow
    46 gal 60-75% WC's at times bigger but not smaller. Edited to add photos

High pH
    image.jpg

Low pH below
    image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DebinWhitmore; 11-15-2015 at 01:38 AM. Reason: edited 2nd time for wrong photo #2

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Get a tap test now, and one in 24 hours after sitting out in a container.

Post here for future reference.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Tap water just now. This does not make sense to me. Why would it be so much higher in the tank?

High range pH
    image.jpg

Low range pH
    image.jpg

Straight from tap 11/14/15 10 pm

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    If your tap water has a large amount of carbon dioxide gas, it will cause the pH to drop. As the water gets moved around in your tank, the carbon dioxide will become gassed off and will be replaced with oxygen. This will cause the pH to increase. If the pH swing is great enough (larger than 0.3) then it will cause stress in the fish and could be to the point of causing fish death.

Once you retest the original sample of tap water after it has been sitting in an open top container for 24 hours, we can confirm if this is what is going on here
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    If your tap water has a large amount of carbon dioxide gas, it will cause the pH to drop. As the water gets moved around in your tank, the carbon dioxide will become gassed off and will be replaced with oxygen. This will cause the pH to increase. If the pH swing is great enough (larger than 0.3) then it will cause stress in the fish and could be to the point of causing fish death.

Once you retest the original sample of tap water after it has been sitting in an open top container for 24 hours, we can confirm if this is what is going on here
    Thank you Cliff. That is opposite of what has happened in the past and also opposite of what I thought. IIRC last time I tested it was high to begin with and came down after 24 hours. When it came down, it matched the tank. I'll be interested in tonights tests in both places.

What you said makes sense, but it wasn't my experience.

This morning, harley is hanging in there. All present and accounted for. He's still struggling, it appears.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The harley is hanging on. I have another one who has joined him. This fish has wounds, it is a cardinal and not a little one. First I noticed he was swimming or not really swimming but just stationary pointe up about 55 degrees then I noticed his blue line was intruppted and it is the same on both sides. He looks like he was bitten. There is nothing large enough to get him in it's mouth but I have noticed that the harleys have turned quite vicious. This behavior came when the new batch of harleys came in, they chased one another much more and now they are chasing down cardinals too. At first it just seemed like mating behavior but it's almost like something has made them very angry at everthing in the tank.

I have no experience with this. If they are being stressed by something in the water do fish turn mean? Has their mean behavior been the stressor that killed two cardinals so far?

I am very unsure what to do at this point. I almost want to take the cardinal and the harley out and give them a salt bath but I'm not sure if netting them will make them more stressed?

All ideas welcome.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I think I would keep the tank lights off for a couple of days if you haven't done that already?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    I've never heard of behavior like this from harleys before.

Agree with lights down/off, minimal activity outside of the tank...let all the fish calm and (hopefully) settle down.

Sorry about the card...unusual to have bites on him, with this stocking

But like I say, aggressive harleys are not the norm