User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Another discus for you. - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

Default Keeping clean Anubias

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everybody,

I have 100 gal. Discus thank planted with Anubias. So far it is the only plant I have found to really grow at 29-30 degree celcius.
    The problem is that alga is covering the leaves causing them to look dark in color (brown to black). The problem is not occurring in my other tank where the temperature is lower (23-25c) and has the same lithning (power glow). Other than that there is no alga in my tank except the usual cleaning of the glass.

Lights are on 8 hours a day and my plants are growing slowly but steady. Is there something I can do to get rid of this alga on my plants ?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Don't know if this would help, but I've grown Anubias in my discus tanks (& other tanks) without attracting much if any of that algae you describe.
    Even though PAR is now commonly cited & used to determine adequate or excess light intensity, I still find it very useful as a guide, at least for discus tanks which I maintain low-tech, to use no more than approx. 1 watt per gallon, and reduce the daily lighting period to no more than 6-7 hours.
    For example, in my 75 gal discus tank, my lighting is 2 X 39w - T5HO bulbs - 6 hrs./day, with no algae accumulating on the Anubias (or any other plants for that matter).

Are your Anubias growing on driftwood ? If so, remove them & give the Anubia leaves a mist bath with H202 (hydrogen peroxide) for 15-20 minutes, then rinse & use paper towelling or some such to remove the dark blackish algae as best you can. Then replace the plants which should now be fairly clean to start over fresh. You may lose a few leaves at first but it shouldn't take long for the Anubias to resume their good looks & growth, if your lighting intensity is moderate and your lighting period lower than it is now.
    Hope this helps.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

welcome to the community! - mojosodope   Welcome to AC - you have some great discus photos! - ~firefly~   Great advice you have Judi ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    P.S.
    Double click on the photos to get full tank shots.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the answer,

Your tank is real nice.
    I will reduce the lightning period. I have two neon of 40w t8 powerglow, they are maybe on the strong side.

You have so nice plants, apart from the anubias the plants i put in my tank grow for about two months and stop for eventually decay. Do you put something in the water ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I use root tab ferts in the sand substrate for the rooted plants, and the occasional (once weekly) modest dosing of liquid ferts & Excel for the Anubias, although I feel the replenishment of minerals that come with large, frequent wcs contribute sufficiently to the Anubias' growth.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    000_0007.jpg000_0007.jpgThank you discuspaul,

You seem to have the same taste as me in aquarium, discus in a nice planted environment.

I cleaned my anubias as you told me but i did'nt use peroxyde because i did'nt have some and by fear of putting chemical in my tank. I am very cautious with my discus.

You probably have a lot to teach me. I'm keeping discus in my tank for only a year.
    Here are some pics of my tank and anubia once cleaned. I have 17 discus and 3 angels. I fear my tank might be overloaded and i'd like your opinion on that.

I'm looking forward to try the fertilizer tabs you talked to me about for some type of nice looking roots type plants. Hopefully it is going to prevent them from decaying.
    Last edited by discus lover; 11-15-2015 at 06:32 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Overstocked ?
    Really depends on the size of your discus and angels.
    Can't tell their size from your photos, but if the discus are in or near the 4" range, then I would say yes, you are overstocked for a 100 gal tank.
    What's your water change routine like - i.e. frequency & volume ?
    I find that a good compromise temp to keep discus & plants doing well is to maintain tank temp @ no more than 28 Celsius - 82 F.
    Any higher than that and plants will not do very well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My discus are about4'' in average, a couple are 3'' and 5'' My 3 angels are 5-6''
    I change 33% of the water every 3 days and vacuum the gravel once a week.

I lower the temp from 29-30 to 28c.
    I might buy some new plants, i'm not sure because it prevent me from vacuuming all the bottom and dirt accumulate around the plants. With the anubias it is not a problem since i move them once in a while.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

1 Not allowed!
    beautiful tanks, both of you

And good info on the algae vs annubias issue. I cannot keep annubias in my 90 gal rainbow tank as it is constantly covered in algae. Moved it to my 30 gal and it's algae free. The difference in the tanks are led lights (90) vs fluorescent lights (30). More par in the leds?
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    More par in the leds?
    I believe so...
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room