· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

Default Which moss to choose?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, all. I have a 55g Walstad-style tank I'm about to set up--soil-under-sand substrate, moderate current, very heavily planted, moderate to highish light. Should have a decent amount of CO2, but not a lot in the way of nutrients in the water.

I would really like to try my hand at moss again, to attach to some driftwood and my backdrop. But I'm new to mosses, and I'm a bit stumped what to pick. A little natural spreading would be nice, but I don't need it to take over the tank. I am going for a ruins-reclaimed-by-the-jungle look. I like the lush, fern-like greenery, and I hear mosses make good spots for shrimp to hang out.

The pet store can get the following kinds for me:
    Flame
    Java
    Anchor
    Christmas
    Willow
    Taiwan

To be honest, the all sort of look about the same to me. Any ideas or suggestions? Any that I should avoid? I'd kind of like to get a couple different kinds and see what works.

Thanks, as always! Tom

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    From my experience the java and xmas get out of hand very quickly once established. They go everywhere. I also have flame moss and it has been growing very well on the cholla wood I tied it to, and only that wood. I would vote flame moss.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I have Christmas moss and I like it a lot. It does grow very fast though, so will need some trimming every couple of months. I just got a $25 credit at my LFS for the excess moss I brought them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    To, flame moss is good; Christmas moss is good but keep an eye on it so it doesn't take over. That might not be a bad thing--I'm the only person I know who managed to kill Java moss! ha ha ha

Any other pointers?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Well what I sent you with the assassins is "xmass" moss, it does need due diligence and if you are going to have a current it will break off and cover the tank in no time-that happened to me in the 75 as well as the 20L. It got stuck in the bases of the plants, on the substrate, in the filter intakes, and siphon during water changes as well as in my circulation pumps. Months after removing it from the 75, I would still find strays here and there. I guess I have the "pesky" version of xmass moss.

the flame moss I have has grown bigger, but hasn't broken away into bits and pieces and clumps and covered the tank in the 10 or 20 the way the xmass moss did.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Good to know. Anybody tried Taiwan moss? It looks kind of cool--more horizontal, more fern-like, than flam moss' vertical growth.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So, I'm leaning toward flame moss on the wood, and either Taiwan or Christmas (some people seem to think they are the same species) on the backdrop. I'm kind of intrigued by anchor moss, too, since the little info I can find says it's more compact...but it isn't as pretty as Christmas/Taiwan.

Any other recommendations?

Anyone? Anyone? bueller-anyone.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I always wanted to try Phoenix moss.
    4de5f2c93c070.jpg
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I agree I think Taiwan and Christmas Mass at the same thing. They will do well on the background wall, or you can try a java moss wall. My Christmas Moss wall got so out of hand that my sister just decided to pull them both down in my 10 and 20 gallon tanks.

Think I still have a bunch if your interested.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore