· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I know of many who use a plastic tub for QT tanks, you can put a HOB on them and the dark color is less stressful on fish. It is also very easy on the budget and when you don't need it its easy to pack away.
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Just do not use any plastic tubs, due to the thin plastic flexing. Use the thicker ones, like the tough tote. You can get a 30g tough tote for around $13

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by crf8 View Post
    I think if a fish in QT got sick, then you would not use or transfer equipment into the display tank.
    Yes, you would not move the media if that were to happen. This would then require sterilization of the whole tank and equipment used with the QT tank. After sterilization, you can move the media from QT to the main tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   we never stop learning in this hobby - SeaLady   Hang in there, treasure awaits in the end - Jwfish13   Good luck with the interview! - Slaphppy7   Because chocolate always makes things better - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Yes, you would not move the media if that were to happen. This would then require sterilization of the whole tank and equipment used with the QT tank. After sterilization, you can move the media from QT to the main tank.
    One thing they could do is wait to remove one of their cartridges(if they use them) from their filter in the main and instead of throwing it away, rinse it off in old tank water, and use it to help seed the QT.

...That's basically what I did when I QT'd my new angel, which, boy... glad I did. A week later and he sprung up with heaps of ich. Typically you don't need a huge amount of bacterial growth for something like a 10 or 20 and you're often only holding a small amount of fish in the QT at any given time.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So after reading the sticky that wgoldfarb posted, the idea of keeping the QT up and running kind of conflicts with that post. Are there a lot of pros/cons to consider. Can anyone weigh in on what would be wrong with keeping it running? And in the article, it was mentioned to not really put substrate in or many decorations...would it be bad to do so? I kind of had in mind to make the tank a fully functioning tank, and put new fish or sick fish in it when I need to. But I want them to be comfortable when they are in there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khiya View Post
    I kind of had in mind to make the tank a fully functioning tank, and put new fish or sick fish in it when I need to. But I want them to be comfortable when they are in there.
    Then you won't have a QT...you'll have a display tank.

The subject of QT tanks is highly discussed, debateable, and important, IMO.

You'll read that they are absolutely necessary, and you'll read that you don't need one at all.

I personally have never kept one, or will ever keep one.

If I'm going to have a tank, regardless of size, set up in my very small home, it's going to be a functioning, active, dispaly fishkeeping tank....I can only cram so many tanks in here until I can convince Mrs. Slap that we don't reallyneed a sofa, and that there's nothing wrong with sitting in a chair, or on the floor...sitting is overrated, if you ask me.

It's called MTS (multiple tank syndrome), and it's highly contagious

As suggested above, all you really need for a QT tank is a seeded filter, a heater, and a container.

I buy my fish online, from a highly reputable dealer, that QT's fish before they ship them to me.

Is that a guarantee that I won't introduce sick fish into my healthy tanks, and maybe cause major issues?...of course not, in this hobby, you hope for the best and (try) to prepare for the worse, when you care enough about your fish.

In my experience, with the tanks I have, the relative amount of fish deaths I've experienced have been manageable, thank goodness...QT'ing the occasional fish I have had that had health issues would not benefit me.

Many others will disagree, which is perfectly fine.

For me, I've been careful (and lucky) and have not yet had the need for a glass tank dedicated for QT.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 11-12-2015 at 12:56 AM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   To help you sleep... - Rue   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   My turn to buy - fishmommie   Right back at'cha! - KevinVA   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Surfdog   Autism - Surfdog   

3 Not allowed!
    Fresh water I agree with Slap 100%, Float the bag, transfer fish to net then into the tank. But with Salt, not a chance. With fish costing in the hundred's of dollars for one (in some cases), its just prudent to have a clean, safe and in an environment that won't cause your fish any stress with parameters identical to the tank it will be going to. It's two totally different cases.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid (John Wayne)
    If you're not angry, you are not paying attention (Ralph Nader)
    9 Tanks (2-29G QT) ranging from 150G to 10G for my 1/2 moon Beta
    https://youtu.be/avRN9X77jD4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khiya View Post
    So after reading the sticky that wgoldfarb posted, the idea of keeping the QT up and running kind of conflicts with that post. Are there a lot of pros/cons to consider. Can anyone weigh in on what would be wrong with keeping it running? And in the article, it was mentioned to not really put substrate in or many decorations...would it be bad to do so? I kind of had in mind to make the tank a fully functioning tank, and put new fish or sick fish in it when I need to. But I want them to be comfortable when they are in there.
    If you are willing to do the work and dont mind the associated bills (water and heating ) to go along with keeping tank running, then there is no con.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Agreed

I'd add the associated space it would occupy, which may very well not be an issue depending on circumstance.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   we never stop learning in this hobby - SeaLady   Hang in there, treasure awaits in the end - Jwfish13   Good luck with the interview! - Slaphppy7   Because chocolate always makes things better - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Then you won't have a QT...you'll have a display tank.

The subject of QT tanks is highly discussed, debateable, and important, IMO.

You'll read that they are absolutely necessary, and you'll read that you don't need one at all.

I personally have never kept one, or will ever keep one.

If I'm going to have a tank, regardless of size, set up in my very small home, it's going to be a functioning, active, dispaly fishkeeping tank....I can only cram so many tanks in here until I can convince Mrs. Slap that we don't reallyneed a sofa, and that there's nothing wrong with sitting in a chair, or on the floor...sitting is overrated, if you ask me.

It's called MTS (multiple tank syndrome), and it's highly contagious

As suggested above, all you really need for a QT tank is a seeded filter, a heater, and a container.

I buy my fish online, from a highly reputable dealer, that QT's fish before they ship them to me.

Is that a guarantee that I won't introduce sick fish into my healthy tanks, and maybe cause major issues?...of course not, in this hobby, you hope for the best and (try) to prepare for the worse, when you care enough about your fish.

In my experience, with the tanks I have, the relative amount of fish deaths I've experienced have been manageable, thank goodness...QT'ing the occasional fish I have had that had health issues would not benefit me.

Many others will disagree, which is perfectly fine.

For me, I've been careful (and lucky) and have not yet had the need for a glass tank dedicated for QT.

Hope this helps.
    Who is that dealer again? Might buy my school of Corydoras from them.