· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra for one awesome tank :) - steeler58   

Default Please help why my fish are flashing. No visual symptoms..

0 Not allowed!
    Please help me resolve this, becoming more and more frustrated and want my fish to be happy.<br /><br />Stock:<br />12 otos<br />40 cherry barbs<br />40 peppered Cory's (13 adults, the rest are young, approx 2months old)<br /><br />I only see the cherry barbs flash, at most its 1-4 at a time that I see flashing. I mostly females that flash but some males do too on occasion. When I am watching it seems like its females and I believe its not the use fish all the time. <br /><br />The tank is 75g crypt tank with pfs substrate. Co2 and ferts. Planted plus lighting. Tank temp is 75. 10 hour photo period, very little algae.<br /><br />There are no physical signs that I can see to explain why they flash. I bought the Cherry's in 2 stages, so some of them look a little different than others. The colors are not as bold is the first group. But flashing happens with fish from both groups. Its always random, or at least it seem to be random.<br /><br />Fish spawn in my tank all the time. Minus the otos, they have yet to spawn that I can tell. I feed a large mix of foods and perform water changes regularly. I used to fill right from the tap but stopped due to extreme flashing from all my barbs and other fish after a WC. I now age my water prior to filling and they never flash right after a water change anymore. <br /><br />I currently trying to go a month free of no ferts as I dont know what else I can try. I dont think it will change anything but I thought I would try.<br /><br />Since its a crypt tank I.am not worried about nutrient deficiency from a short period like a month.<br/>

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    How long ago have you stocked the fish? Did you treat them pre-emptively with any antiparasitic medications?

Anything that irritates the fish will trigger flashing. If it is sporadic, maybe observed once or so every hour in a school of 12 fish, for example, it may not indicate anything wrong. It's a bit like a human cough. some occasional coughing is normal for healthy individuals, but lots of coughing means something serious.

I've had fish flash after water changes, possibly in response to the sting of residual chlorine, when I medicate the tank, add salt, or when nitrates, nitrites or ammonia rise. Another possibility is gill and body flukes. They're prevalent, often missed during initial visual examination, and can become a real nuisance later on in the enclosed environment of an aquarium.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the AC! - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra for one awesome tank :) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    No new fish.

Its common enough that I wouldn't chalk it up to a random thing. But i can't imagine its serious either because its been going on for a few months and no deaths or ill fish. Still lots of spawning in the tank too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats with the trivia contest! - Slaphppy7   Thanks for taking the time with my angel :) - angelcraze2   Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    If it is constant and random, I'd definitely look into external parasites, including body flukes.
    In otherwise healthy systems (a well maintained 75 gallon planted tank with only small community fish sounds like a very healthy one) the fish's immune systems may be able to keep such infestations at a chronic, low-level infestation.

I'm probably paranoid from my previous experiences, but flukes are real hard to miss during initial quarantines because they aren't immediately lethal and are very hard to detect.

A more benign possibility that I personally haven't dealt with is hard water irritating soft-water fish. in which case you'd just have to ask yourself whether your water source is known to be rich in dissolved minerals or has a high concentration of certain substances.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have inspected my barbs over and over again and I feel confident I would spot the flukes if they did exist.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Flukes can sometimes infect just the gills so there would be no external signs. These types of infections will also have the same behavioral symptoms as well

I would agree with the already made suggestion for treatment
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If it is gill flukes wouldn't it have spread to all my fish by now? I read that the life cycle is a week and I been dealing with this for at least 2 months.

Also why is it only my barbs and not my Cory's or my otos? Still no lethargic fish or heavy breathing.

Also if it was a parasite wouldn't wouldn't the flashing be constant?

And with gill flukes, the eggs fall the ground and then look for a host. So I would think the Cory's being a bottom.dweller would be the most susceptible to the parasite.

I just dont want to dose meds with fry in the tank if I dont have too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas &amp; Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

2 Not allowed!
    ottos and cat fish have a tougher out shell almost - unlike the more sensitive scales on your tetras and barbs - so that may be why they are not affected?.

Before you start treating for parasites or illness, lets go back to basics. What kind of water conditioner are you using to remove the chlorine from your water? And can you give us your water parameters? Ammonia? Nitrites? Nitrates? pH? How often do you change the water and how much do you change out at a time? Do you refill with water the same temp as the tank water?
    And btw - how long has the tank been set up? How much filtration do you have?
    maybe it's something very basic.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Water conditioner is prime. Ammo is 0, nitrites 0, nitrates around 5-10. 60% weekly WC with temp matched via digital therm. Water is treated with prime and aged before water change. Weekly water changes. Over 1.5 years old, setup march 22 2014.

Keep in mind I have fish spawning almost daily in this tank. Unhappy fish dont spawn, at least that I am aware of.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas &amp; Happy New Year! - Plecos   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday Cindy :-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishmommie   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - fishmommie   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - fishmommie   

0 Not allowed!
    sounds like you're doing everything right. exceptional, in fact.
    I'd go with the advice you've been given above. and see it it doesn't make a difference.
    Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
    Water conditioner is prime. Ammo is 0, nitrites 0, nitrates around 5-10. 60% weekly WC with temp matched via digital therm. Water is treated with prime and aged before water change. Weekly water changes. Over 1.5 years old, setup march 22 2014.

Keep in mind I have fish spawning almost daily in this tank. Unhappy fish dont spawn, at least that I am aware of.
    30 g FW planted:corys, female ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, rummies,
    15 g FW planted:2 male guppies, neons, pygmy corys, clown pleco, 4 types of shrimp, assassin snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://bit.ly/1vC7gVX
    fishless cycling: http://bit.ly/1DARf3T
    fish in cycling: http://bit.ly/1ILvcfp