· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   To help you sleep... - Rue   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   My turn to buy - fishmommie   Right back at'cha! - KevinVA   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Surfdog   Autism - Surfdog   

Exclamation Deep sand bed dangers

2 Not allowed!
    I haven’t been here in a while as absolutely nothing new has been going on with my tanks (7 now) until yesterday. I made a fatal mistake that cost the lives of my garden eels and cuc.
    Many of you are aware I run deep sand beds (DSB’s), fresh and salt water tanks alike. As a result I have between 0 and .05 nitrates at all times and only change the water every three months. I run no filters on my tanks, the DSB’s handle all the filtration and powerheads circulate the water. I do run a Vortex diatom filter periodically to polish my water; it filters at levels measured in microns. With that said there is one unbreakable rule running DSB’s, do not disturb the DSB. If you know anything about DSB’s, you know why.

While polishing the water in my SW Cube the diffuser came off the output end and power washed a hole to the bottom of the tank through the sand. It had been running an hour before I noticed but it was too late to rescue my charges, the damage had been done. Since the eels had retreated under the 5” sand bed, I immediately did a 95% water change, twice. It was too little too late. So now the tank will lie empty as the cycle was lost as well, something to do with the toxins released into the water column, my guess is sulphate’s.
    I’ve posted this as a heads up to other folks who run DSB’s to keep their lives simpler as a warning and to always keep the number one rule in mind, don’t disturb the DSB!

Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid (John Wayne)
    If you're not angry, you are not paying attention (Ralph Nader)
    9 Tanks (2-29G QT) ranging from 150G to 10G for my 1/2 moon Beta
    https://youtu.be/avRN9X77jD4

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Been wondering how you were...sorry your latest update is bad news.

My DSB in the 40B remains undisturbed for this very reason...but as in your case, accidents do happen.

Sorry to hear about this, bud.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Tough luck Surfdog

Sounds like you had the DBS disturbed a lot a few inches in (and deeper) were you will get a build up of hydrogen sulfide (by product of a functioning DSB). Best to re-cure all the rock as well as you would have had some hydrogen sulfide absorbed into the rocks. It's a slim chance, but I would not risk it.

It is this exact reason why many people have taken to only using DSB in sumps were you can control/ensure it will not get disturbed and you can ensure your DSB CUC will remain intack maintaining it.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I am so sorry to hear of your losses. Thank you for posting this accident as a warning to others.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7   To help you sleep... - Rue   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   My turn to buy - fishmommie   Right back at'cha! - KevinVA   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Surfdog   Autism - Surfdog   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Tough luck Surfdog

Sounds like you had the DBS disturbed a lot a few inches in (and deeper) were you will get a build up of hydrogen sulfide (by product of a functioning DSB). Best to re-cure all the rock as well as you would have had some hydrogen sulfide absorbed into the rocks. It's a slim chance, but I would not risk it.

It is this exact reason why many people have taken to only using DSB in sumps were you can control/ensure it will not get disturbed and you can ensure your DSB CUC will remain intack maintaining it.
    It was a one off Cliff. They diffuser on the out now has a SS ring clamp on it, I really should have thought of this before. Oh well, live ‘n learn I suppose. As you are probably aware, with a DSB no sump is needed, that’s the whole point. Less equipment, less hassles, less water changes, that why you go DSB. I actually have to add fresh water to my salt setups as salinity rises with evaporation and I add products such as Tropic Marin weekly. I’m still at 3 months per water change and if I see too much mulm on top of my black sand, I gently fan the top of the sand with something flat to get it into the water column while running my 20 year old Vortex. That’s how this happened.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rivers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Unhappy

2 Not allowed!
    The 24 gallon cube tank will remain empty for the next month. I will then test for phosphates, Nitrites, Nitrates, Ammonia etc. I have been soaking the live rock (all 55 pounds) in two 5 gallon pails filed with 1.030 salt water in the hope it will leach out undesirable' elements. I plan on treating this as a from scratch cycle adding a few drops of ammonia daily. I forgot to mention an upside, 2 snails actually got above the water line and are now busy on the walls of my moray tank as well as my Gorgonia, I have absolutely no idea how it survived!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Good deal!...glad to hear all was not lost
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish! Welcome to the site! - Plecos   Foe all of your effort on the SW tank - Silbar   thanks for sharing your amazing pics - Silbar   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   For getting your tank featured in PFM! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    That is exactly why I never opted to run a DSB on my marine tank in my opinion they a wipeout waiting to happen and mistakes are easily made hope all sorts it's self :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    My first mishap in 2 years. Totally my fault for not securing the outflow diffuser, that’s been corrected with a stainless steal ring clamp so won’t happen again. I am so very careful if doing anything in any of my 6 DSB tanks, even when adding a plant to my planted 75, I use a very long pair of tweezers to push the plant into the sand. Minimal invasive is the trick and ive gotten good at it. If the vortex had not blown a hole clear to the bottom of the tank I am sure I could have overcome the toxins. I am still sold on them, no filters, no water changes is just win win to me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast