· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Lightbulb Fish dying in new 20-gallon tank?!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi :) so until recently, my boyfriend and I kept our fish in a 10-gallon tank. Fish died occasionally and there were spikes in nitrite and ammonia, but other than that, we didn't have too many problems. About 3 days ago, we bought a 20-gallon tank and transferred our fish and about a third of their water. We also used the same filter and cartridge until the new tank was cycled. Two of our mollies, which had been having issues before the switch, died the next day. Today, four more fish died (a guppy, molly, sparkling gourami, and glassfish tetra). I used a test kit and the nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia levels are all showing as zero. The pH, however, is at least 7.8. I heard that pH can only stress fish, and it never seemed to bother anyone in our old tank, so I don't see why the fish are all dying off now. I don't have any aggressive fish and none of the dead ones look hurt. Before they die, they always sink to the bottom and gasp for air for several hours or even days. Occasionally they will swim around, turn on their side or upside down, and sink back to the bottom. We have a live plant and left space so the fish can get oxygen. Any ideas?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

2 Not allowed!
    What type of kit did you use? Test strips or a liquid test kit? The absence of nitrates is concerning, there should be at least some in a cycled tank.

Have you done any water changes since all this start?

The ph is a bit high, not for the mollies but I can see the tetra and gourami having trouble with that.

Adding old tank water isn't going to do anything, the whole cycle process is in the filter. Since you said you moved that over with the cartridge, did you let it dry out any before moving? Or was it moved right away while still wet? What type of filter is it btw?
    Increasing your biodiversity increases your stability.

You know what this tank needs? ........................ Crypts.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for replying. We moved it right away without drying and actually set up our new filter at the same time. Idk if that was a good idea but we couldn't think of anything better. The new filter (which has been running by itself for at least one day) is an Aqueon Quiet Flow that came with our Aqueon 17760 Deluxe Kit. I did a water change just now.

If the tank is not properly cycled, what happens?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123   Great helper. Here's a hotdog. - metweezer   Happy New Year!! - SeaLady   For your plant placement experiment...nice! - Slaphppy7   Thanks 4 help - pRED   

0 Not allowed!
    Well first off, how long did you leave the old filter in before removing it? If the tank isn't cycled then you should be seeing a spike in ammonia and that would be the cause of your fish death. If you are using test strips you might not be seeing the kind of readings you should be getting from a liquid test kit. At this point the water changes are the best way to combat that.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, I am using a test kit.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Hmmm well it is possible to get a reading of zero nitrates since that test is a bit harder to perform than the other two. You really got to shake the fire out of that thing. lol If you are confident in your readings of your ammonia and nitrites, then it isn't ammonia poisoning. Right now the only thing I know to do is water changes. How much water are you changing? Most do about 50% water changes. Dumb question, but good to eliminate it, are you using a dechlorinater when adding new water?

I would suggest that until things level out you do 50% water changes every other day with daily tests of your parameters. What else is currently alive in this tank?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It was 50%. My tap water doesn't have chlorine, but I add water conditioner anyway because I heard it decreases stress.

Right now I have 6 fancy guppies, 3 platies, one molly, one angelfish, two gourami, one tiger barb (I know they should be kept in groups, I will probably get more soon), and an eel. Whatever the problem is, is affecting the small fish almost exclusively. The blood gourami has been breathing hard, but seems fine compared to the live-bearers and angel. The other bigger fish and eel seem completely fine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    What kind of eel is in there and what kind of gouramis? Also, please do not get any more barbs - or anything else in this tank for now. There are a few issues with your stocking. Before it can be sorted out, is this a 20g high or 20g long?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It's a 20g high. Not sure what type of eel it is; I'll check at the store where I got him today. They said he would be fine in a community tank. He looks too small to attack anyone o.o
    And the gouramis are a dwarf blood gourami and dwarf kissing gourami.
    Last edited by eevee77; 11-06-2015 at 02:27 PM.