· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Planted tang tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Ive read about people successfully keeping plants in a tang tank. If anyone here has experience with it what do you think of the following plant choices?

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya'
    Cryptocoryne wendtii v. Tropica
    Micro Sword "Narrow Leaf" (Lilaeopsis Mauritius)
    Anubias, barteri var. barteri
    Hygrophila Pinnatifida
    Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
    Baby Tears , Dwarf (Hemianthus callitrichoides)

And do you have any suggestions?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - steeler58   Thanks!! - steeler58   Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7   Thx4rep - pRED   Won't let me give a rep ptr re the 12 gal tank - fishmommie   

3 Not allowed!
    Never had personal experience, but heard that while tangs aren't as notorious for eating the plants as mbuna, they do still dig.

The stem plants and baby's tears would likely not last long, but if you manage to get the crypts and the swords well rooted, it may be possible. Have you also considered vallisneria? It's vigorous, deep rooting and also withstands well the alkaline conditions required for african cichlids.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of fish are you wanting to keep? Nothing with short roots would make it.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumbu View Post
    What kind of fish are you wanting to keep? Nothing with short roots would make it.
    A colony of multies and giant danios and maybe a BN pleco.

The tanks been cycled and I was planning on adding the plants and letting them grow for several weeks before adding the multies.

Maybe ill get some vallisneria. Are there any plants out there that would grow on limestone rocks?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Beautiful tank! - gabbyguppy   I love that show - Pele   Thanks for the nomination, and recognizing fine art when you see it  :-) - Cliff   I give these to friends only. - smaug   For my comments on your betta, but no way was I buying you one, even on AC ;-P - ScottishFish   

0 Not allowed!
    Your best options are going to be the cryps. When I had my tang tanks the only thing that would really grow where the cryps, because they where the only thing that could handle the hard water the cichlids will need. Anubias and even Java fern would survive for a little while but would always eventually melt and die.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Update:

I wound up going with vallisneria americana var (b something), cryp parva, java fern, microsword, and h. bulbitis. I even tried a bit of an experiment. There was a seashell in my garden that I know has no pesticides in it so I added it to the tank because it had an interesting plant growing out of it in an area thats usually under a puddle. All the plants are doing well after a month. The c. Parva died off a lot but is growing back very strong. The vals are reproducing a lot faster than I would expect. I havent added the multies yet, wanted the plants to be well rooted first, which they are. I dont remember what my gh and kh were when I tested last week but they were high and the ph is at 8.2.

I have a feeling the microsword will be uprooted once I add the multies. And the bulbitis has tripled in size but im having a hard time getting to attach to rockwork. I tied it on good with some monofilament but somehow it became untied and the fishing line seems to have disappeared (I suspect the copepods).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  You need some fish on your wall. - WhistlingBadger   Here's another one.  That's more like it. - WhistlingBadger   Congrats for the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the fry! - DebinWhitmore   

0 Not allowed!
    What size is the aquarium?
    In my experience I would not plant anything in my Multi's area as they are always digging and the plants would be uprooted regularly. You could try leaving them in pots anchored down to a piece of slate and the hide the slate and pot so they don't fall over or look out of place.
    255 Gallon African Cichlid Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold Head, Neolamprologus Multifasciatus and cyprichromis Leptosoma Mamalesa
    37 Gallon community
    10 Gallon betta
    75 Gallon in progress

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is a 29g. I know there is a chance they will probably uproot most of the plants from time to time (I think the C. Parva will be good, those roots are pretty beastly) For the rest of them I figure its 50/50 Im hoping two months worth of root growth will give them a good foundation to resist being uprooted. Its a bit of a gamble but last time I had multies I found that if provided with tufa rock/limestone they stick to the rockwork unless they are rearing fry. And the digging seemed to be worst when they were first introduced to the tank, after that they only seemed to dig when a sub adult was reaching adult age, but thats also not too often.. I found that as the colony grows the dominant fish tend to limit how many fry make it past sub-adult (I think unless the pleco was eating them).

Eh worst case scenario I wasted $40.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  You need some fish on your wall. - WhistlingBadger   Here's another one.  That's more like it. - WhistlingBadger   Congrats for the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the fry! - DebinWhitmore   

0 Not allowed!
    Well it seems that you have a plan in place and know the behaviors. My Multi's are always digging but I have never kept the in a tank that small. Best of luck to you and hope you don't have any issues.
    As for the dominant male I believe they also control how many fry make it to adulthood, my tank is going to get interesting as I have 3 that are dominant.
    255 Gallon African Cichlid Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold Head, Neolamprologus Multifasciatus and cyprichromis Leptosoma Mamalesa
    37 Gallon community
    10 Gallon betta
    75 Gallon in progress

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like Ill have to change my plans. Only place ive been able to find multies for sale has a high minimum order and charges a lot more than it should for shipping. And unfortunately there is only one lfs within driving distance of me and they want $50 per fish to special order them.