· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Neon Tetra Disease???

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, yesterday I introduced six neon tetras into my 20 gallon community tank (one extremely docile betta male, and five rasboras with assorted live plants). This is my first community aquarium in some years however I have kept solo bettas on and off for the past few years and this is my first time with tetras and rasboras. Anyway, when I brought them home and was acclimating the tetras into the tank I noticed one constantly swimming up at the top of the petstore bag. He was swimming fine but I thought it odd that all of the other fish were shoaling towards the bottom of the bag. When I released them into the tank one of the tetras (the same one. I could recognize him because of his smaller size) would not swim with the others. He was often on his own and was one of the few that would frequently spend time at the top of the tank. His colour was a bit duller than the other tetras but not by a big difference and he seemed healthy other than being chased away frequently by the other fish. Today (after putting them into the tank last night), I noticed this tetra hiding often and for the better part of the day I could not find him in the tank until this evening when I found his dead body stuck in some plants. I know for sure that my betta did not attack him for I kept the betta in a bag floating in the tank until I knew for sure that he would not attack the tetras. I am paranoid that there could be something wrong with this fish, although he does not show any symptoms of neon tetra disease (he has no masses, nor a malformed body but like I said his body is discoloured). The rest of the shoal appears healthy currently (I am watching them SOOO closely for any symptoms), their colour is beautiful and they are staying in at least groups of two (and not showing any of his unusual behavior of seclusion). Is there a possibility that the dead tetra had something contagious? Is there anything I can do to help make sure that the rest of the fish remain healthy? So far they all look good but I really don't want to lose anymore! Any help would be great! Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by EME View Post
    although he does not show any symptoms of neon tetra disease!
    You have answered your own question about neon tetra disease.

Neons are notorious for one or two dying soon after you bring them home. They are so over bred these days some just can't handle the stress of moving from distributor to store to your tank.
    The best things you can do for your remaining fish is keep the water very clean with regular water changes and feed them quality food. Whether we choose to admit it or not, the truth is 99% of things that go wrong in our tanks can be prevented with regular water changes.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thank you! Is there anything I can do to help ensure the survival of the others? Anything I should put in the water that could help? I want to give these fish the best possible shot.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

1 Not allowed!
    Just keep the water clean and the tank as stress free as you can. The best way for less stress at first is to turn the lights out. Give them a few more days to get used to their new environment.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Great! Thank you!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Neon for your losses :( - steeler58   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - fishkeeper4   

0 Not allowed!
    I had some issues with my neons as well. However the group I have now have done very well. How are yours doing now?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Four of my original six died, but the remaining two seem to be doing better. I introduced ten more tetras into my aquarium and now all twelve seem to be doing well. I'd bought the newer ones from a different fish store so I think it was just a matter of finding a healthier stock.
    I am however, having trouble with feedings. I have several cory cats and I try to supplement the scraps they get from my other fish with shrimp pellets but the tetras always seem to get to the sinking pellets first. They end up completely bloated and I haven't yet found a way to stop it. I've tried distracting them with their own food while I hide the pellets throughout the tank but they still find it. Any suggestions? What I've resorted to doing is feeding the tetras and rasboras one day with either flakes, bloodworms, or homemade food, then the following day I focus on the bottom feeders knowing that my schooling fish will eat their food as well. Is there a better way of doing this?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I have the same problem here. My tetras has sign of stress even I have change the water every 3 days

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by capitalindo View Post
    I have the same problem here. My tetras has sign of stress even I have change the water every 3 days
    You should create your own thread, since the one you are posting to is old.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by capitalindo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    You should create your own thread, since the one you are posting to is old.
    Agreed. Also, capitalindo, if you can post a photo of your tetras, it could be very helpful.