· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: BBS is messy

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Never shake a baby birrrrrrrd! - rebecca_finny   Safe travels, Shenzi! - rebecca_finny   Just Saying Thanks! - Plecos   Here's some candy for your candy bag. - mommy1   More candy for your candy bag - mommy1   
    Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - rebecca_finny   

Default BBS is messy

0 Not allowed!
    I noticed when I have to feed my angelfish fry, it's quite a chore because leftover thawed BBS gets everywhere after preparing it, and it's such a waste. Are hatcheries less messy? Are there other alternatives, or should I stay with baby brine shrimp?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the late response, I've been away for a bit.

So you are asking about frozen BBS vs. newly hatched? I don't know the answer to that question, but I use frozen BBS for my angelfry, and am not sure what you mean by it "gets everywhere after preparing".

For frozen BBS, I just keep a cube in a small container, in the freezer and just pick off a bit of BBS with my fingers, let the water melt off into the sink, and I am left with just enough BBS on my fingers for one feeding. The rest of the cube goes back into the freezer, in it's small container, and never unthwaws until I'm about to use it.

I also feed my angelfry Hikari 'First Bites' and microworms. I read somewhere that microworms are a close second nutritionally speaking to freshly hatched BBS, but don't know for sure myself how true that is. They seem to work good for me though. They live in the water for up to 3 days (longer than BBS) keeping the water cleaner.

Hope that helps.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need another ram. - Slaphppy7   Congrats for Maggie! - Rue   Indeed, it is now time for a beer - RiversGirl   congrats on your baby corys - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I thaw them out in a cup of water, use an eye dropper to get what I want, and keep the rest in the fridge. I wouldn't say it's any more or less messy than hatching your own, but it is alot easier. In theory the majority of the nutritional value of bbs is in their egg sack, so if not used almost immediately it drops rapidly. As far as alternatives, infusoria works, microworms if you can get a culture, vinegar eels, plenty of options but they all require a certain amount of upkeep on their own.