· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Fishless Cycle/TSS Questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

I've been fishless cycling my 20 gallon with pure ammonia for about 3.5 weeks. I started by adding 4ppm of ammonia every day until nitrites began to show. All was going well and 4ppm of ammonia was being converted to nitrites within 24 hours; nitrites were off the charts.

It was like this for a few days until one night when I tested my water there was about .5-1ppm of ammonia. I figured the ammonia was from the decaying leaves that had fallen off the plants I had put in the tank a couple days earlier. I vacuumed up any plant matter that I could find. I've been keeping the ammonia level at about 1.5-2ppm.

Yesterday I started to get tired of waiting for the cycle to finish so I went to Petco and bought a bottle of TSS. The ammonia was at .5ppm when I added TSS and the nitrites were still off the charts. Do you guys think the high nitrites killed the TSS bacteria?

I know you aren't supposed to do water changes with TSS, but since the bottled bacteria was probably killed by the high level of nitrites, should I do a large water change to bring down the nitrites and try again with another bottle of TSS?

Another thing I'm concerned about is my pH. The pH from my tap water is 7.6-8.0. I heard that cycling can lower pH and possibly stall the cycle, so I tested the pH in my tank. It was at 6.2. Is that low enough to have stalled the cycle?

Lastly, Every once and while I find a little snail on the glass (forgot to rinse plants before I put them in the tank). I remove them whenever I see one, but shouldn't they die from such high nitrites?

BTW, I'm using the API liquid test kit.

Thanks for the help!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    You certainly are using a lot more ammonia than what is required to cycle a tank, especially a smaller tank like yours. That alone will prolong things for you. As ammonia has a pH or 14 or 15, high levels of ammonia will increase the pH, not lower it. However, it should not raise it enough to really do anything

IMO and IME, the bottled bacteria stuff doesn't work very well at all. I am not surprised to read that it did not work for you

I would suggest maintaining your ammonia level around 1ppm. Give it a week and see what your nitrite levels do
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

2 Not allowed!
    Actually it lowers pH.

http://pets.thenest.com/ph-cause-amm...igh-12118.html

The bacteria will still grow in a pH of 6.2 but very slowly.

Yes, you should do a big water change to bring down the nitrites, otherwise they will take "forever" to drop because you have added so much ammonia. A water change will also raise the pH back up a bit.
    Please read this, http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

This is a 20 gallon tank, you don't need that much ammonia to get it cycled. After you do a water change let the tank sit for a couple hours to let everything settle a bit, then bring the ammonia up to 1 or 2 ppm. It is important to let that ammonia drop completely to 0ppm before adding more.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

0 Not allowed!
    So I did about a 75% water change.

I added ammonia so it's at 1ppm.

I tested the pH in my tank after the water change and it's now at about 7.4-7.6.

When I tested for nitrites after the water change, the water in the test tube immediately turned to the color that represents 5.0ppm when I shook it. I'm pretty sure that means it's over 5ppm, right?

Should I do another water change? Or just continue to add 1ppm of ammonia every time it reaches 0ppm until the nitrites drop?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

2 Not allowed!
    It doesn't matter what the tests reads until you have waited 5 minutes, but it probably is still over 5ppm. I would wait to change any water for now. Test for ammonia again tomorrow afternoon and see how much has been processed to nitrite. Because your nitrites are so high, you might want to wait another 24 hours after ammonia reads 0ppm to add more. In other words, only add ammonia once every 48 hours after it drops to 0ppm, at least until the nitrite drops to readable levels. This will give the bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrate a chance to catch up. The bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite will not starve off waiting another day for ammonia.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me