· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

Unhappy Different types of algae attacking different plants.

0 Not allowed!
    I was wondering if someone could give me a little more in depth view about algae. Not some giant scientific article but give me a good overview of everything I need to know about algae. I'm asking because I have a 29 gallon tall that has had a bad issue with diatom outbreaks from the beginning of getting it. I don't know what about that tank draws them in but it really does. I then decided to put the 29 gallon away for a little bit and moved the plants from that tank into a 10 gallon that I aquascaped. The plants looked great in the ten gallon, no algae besides some standard green on the acrylic. After having that tank for about 4 months I decided that it was a waste to have my 29 gallon in my dorm room just sitting there looking bad so I moved the 29 gallon, made a substrate mix of eco-complete and fluorite and aquascaped it. I have some wisteria, an assortment of swords and some ludwigia repens. I'm asking about algae because it would seem that these plants are having different types of algae out breaks. The Swords are doing fantastic! but the wisteria is getting knocked down by what appears to brown diatoms. I don't see any diatoms on anything else, just the wisteria. The Ludwigia Repens are getting a bad case of hair algae. Then I have the regular green algae on growing on the acrylic. Why are all these types of algae in the same tank but only attacking specific plants? How does this work? Thanks for any info. I love this community! Thanks friends.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need another ram. - Slaphppy7   Congrats for Maggie! - Rue   Indeed, it is now time for a beer - RiversGirl   congrats on your baby corys - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Well from what I've seen algae grows best on unhealthy plant tissue so I would say something is wrong with your lights or your plants haven't gotten used to your tank. If you got plants that had been grown emersed it will get worse for awhile.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   Chocolate always makes a body better.  Glad you're on the ment - fishmommie   Here's to a quick recovery my friend. - mommy1   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    The flow in the tank will also play a big factor here. That would be a larger factor that the surface it grows on. All different type of algaes, and diatoms both, will grow best in lower flow areas

However, at the end of the day, if the conditions are right you will get algae.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]