· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a cory for your ac tank - Lab_Rat   

Default Old multies, new tank, some regrets and some plans...

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,
    It's been a very long time since I've posted here and I'm in need of some advice. I have a shell dweller colony (multies) that is about 4.5 years old. Needless to say, the group is a bit out of control. For the duration of their lives they've been in a 10g. I've sold off a few, given away others, but they're like guppies, and every spring I have a bumper crop.

Space is limited for me, but more limited for them, so I decided to upgrade. The original plan was a 29g. I looked for one for a good price for a while (craigslist, etc) and stumbled on a deal for a 27g cube. I did the math and they both have the same sq footage footprint, which is most important for the shellies. Great, I thought, here's my new tank. I get it home and set up and realize that although the new tank has nearly double the footprint of the old, it's cube shape means all the fish share the same space. This limits my ability to set up multiple colonies as I had planned to do on each side of the 29. It also means the front of the tank is basically the same size as the 10g (20inches). It's got more height, but the shellies obviously don't take advantage of that.

Nevertheless, it's a cool looking setup. The cube gives some depth, so the colony has a bit more texture to it. I'm not sure it's ideal, but it's better than the 10, that's for sure. Convince me it's a great tank for them?

So the question: what else can I add? My initial inclination was to keep this a species-only tank. I really like the Multies. But with the added height there's a lot of dead space. I'm also thinking that sustainability-wise a fry-eater might be smart. Calvus? In my imaginary dream-tank I pair down the number of multies and have a fry eater in there that lets 2-3 survive each year. Enough to enjoy their lifecycle, not so many I have to keep pawning them off on friends. I could add rockwork and juliies + a calvus or comp, but I don't want to overload the tank. Much prefer too much tank and too much filtration over too many fish. Filters are 1 aquaclear 70 and 1 aquaclear 30 (I like to run two in case of outages and because I can clean the filters if need be intermittently). Are there any "dither" fish options? Something that might swim in the water column but not need more than 20 cubic inches of swimming room? Tanganyikas only please...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I researched a multi tank a while ago and decided against it for just the reason you've given. Very easy to breed. The species I was going to add as a tank mate is Julidochromis transcriptus. Here's a couple of sites:

http://julidochromis.com/transcriptus/
    http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwate...ng-julies.aspx

If you could build up a high set of rocky cave areas for this fish, it would fill in that part of the tank not used by the multies.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to the forum.  You need some fish on your wall. - WhistlingBadger   Here's another one.  That's more like it. - WhistlingBadger   Congrats for the new fish! - Slaphppy7   Congrats on the fry! - DebinWhitmore   

0 Not allowed!
    I just setup my Lake Tang dream tank that has Multi's and Gold Head comps. Julies would work as they prefer steep rocky formations. Most that could be used as dither fish require a longer tank.
    255 Gallon African Cichlid Altolamprologus Compressiceps Gold Head, Neolamprologus Multifasciatus and cyprichromis Leptosoma Mamalesa
    37 Gallon community
    10 Gallon betta
    75 Gallon in progress